Whistles needed for live gigs - San Diego area

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
psoutowood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Whistles needed for live gigs - San Diego area

Post by psoutowood »

In this age of live-streaming events from home I still have two live gigs for St.Patrick's Day and am in need of a few extra keys of whistles. Anyone willing to do a short-term loan or trade or rent for the day? I need a mezzo B, mezzo Ab, and low E if anyone has those keys. And yes, I'll sanitize them when I return them! San Diego area.

-Peter
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Whistles needed for live gigs - San Diego area

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Low E (natural) and a mezzo B (natural) that you're welcome to borrow. I'm up in Orange County, in Tustin.

They're both right in tune.

My only remaining St Pats gig is solo so I don't need those whistles for that.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

Hi Richard, thanks for the offer! Already one is cancelled and likely the other will be shortly. So it looks like playing at home on the big day!

-Peter
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

All restaurants and bars in Chicago are closed as of Monday the 16th at 5 pm. While this was likely to happen sooner or later the Mayor and the Gov. both alluded to the crowds that insisted in going downtown to party in the bars Saturday night. Even though the parade was cancelled and the call for social distancing was loud and clear the green hatted "kiss me I'm Irish" crowd was out in force. This crowd likely was the handwriting on the wall for closures before the 17th. I only know of a couple of ITM venues that stayed open with shows. Almost everyone else cancelled,

During the last two weeks there has been a lot of, "No virus is going to hold us back, come on out and see our show" bravado, but most venues finally got the memo and cancelled before the proclamation. Old St. Pat's closed down early in the week and streamed mass, and the Irish American Heritage Center cancelled shows before the weekend.

This is a really tough time for people who make their livings with music and venues, sort of like cancelling Christmas for retail. I'd encourage folks to look into buying a CD or two with those dollars you were going to spend on a show or at a pub. I think musicians still get more money from actual CDs or MP3s than streaming. Though streaming is something. You could also pay your favorite spot ahead by purchasing a gift certificate for a future date. Find an artist and skype a few lessons.

Though I do realize that for many of us closures are limiting our incomes as well... it is a delicate balance. Stay safe people.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

psoutowood wrote:Hi Richard, thanks for the offer! Already one is cancelled and likely the other will be shortly. So it looks like playing at home on the big day!
The city might just shut everything down anyway, that's what's going on up here in LA, the mayor made all bars and restaurants shut their doors.
busterbill wrote: I think musicians still get more money from actual CDs or MP3s than streaming. Though streaming is something.
It's not even a comparison; it takes 1000s (at least) streams to equal 1 CD/mp3/other sale. I released an EP a few years back, I haven't even made enough from sp***ify streams to reach the $1 payout threshold from the distributor I went through! (Not that many people are streaming it but still, I was looking at the stats the other day and saw that I've had a total of 440 streams and that amounts to about 27 cents for me which I can't even touch.) So if you can afford to buy peoples' music always do that but if you can't, be sure to stream the sh**t out of it!!!! You can always buy other merch too if it's available. Lots of touring artists have had to cancel or postpone tours as well and this is where they really make most of their money.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I think I should figure out how to copy and past my original comment into a new post. This is a timely subject.