A good word for Richard Patkos.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A good word for Richard Patkos.

Post by ImNotIrish »

I was invited to express my experience regarding Mr. Patkos, so I decided to do so. I am a happy owner of one of Richard's B chanters (ebony). I am currently awaiting a D African black wood Taylor style chanter from him as well. It is currently done, and being fine-tuned, and keys and popping valve being examined for maximum performance. Though I did initially have some issues with the delivery of the B chanter, in that it was reportedly shipped out when it was not, I have been happy with the overall work and craftsmanship. I did need to email, and I think I even ranted on here about his business aptitude, but in the end, he came through, and responded to my emails. For the new chanter, Richard has stayed in touch,, maintained his completion date, and sent photos and video clips of the chanter along the way. As I said, I have not received this latest chanter, so I cannot comment yet upon any improved delivery behavior. Supposedly it will be shipped out this coming week.
In short, I have been very happy with his B chanter. It has been a stable playing chanter. I did request a couple of reeds from him in the past, which were delivered in a timely manner, and playable out of the package. I have had a frank conversation with Richard regarding his business practice, and promises, and encouraged him to be forthright about promised times, and/ or, a lack of fulfilling such promises. I think his work is high quality (at least for me), and I have no reservations recommending him. I know there are plenty of stories to the contrary.... about that, I can only hope he has made things right.

Arbo
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A good word for Richard Patkos.

Post by oliver »

ImNotIrish wrote: I can only hope he has made things right.Arbo
I hope so too, but I'm afraid his reputation here in France is too far gone, and it's gonna take a long long time before confidence comes back.
Pity because his work seems good now.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

oliver wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote: I can only hope he has made things right.Arbo
I hope so too, but I'm afraid his reputation here in France is too far gone, and it's gonna take a long long time before confidence comes back.
Pity because his work seems good now.

Sorry to hear that.
Arbo
amckay

Post by amckay »

Being a small business person requires two major skills - 1) perfecting your craft/product/service, 2) operating good business practises.

Part 2 quite often falls down for many. This is a big issue in my country with tradies. As plumbers or electricians etc they are great, but phone service, communication, turning up on time, and general time management really sucks!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

amckay wrote:Being a small business person requires two major skills - 1) perfecting your craft/product/service, 2) operating good business practises.

Part 2 quite often falls down for many. This is a big issue in my country with tradies. As plumbers or electricians etc they are great, but phone service, communication, turning up on time, and general time management really sucks!
Indeed, this is so true. Beyond one's work/ product, there is the future relationship with one's customer. I suppose, it's kin of like having children... you are in it for the remainder of your life. Once your work is 'out there,' so is your relationship with that work. You can never really separate from it. Those that understand this have the security of continued interest in their products, and the additional perk of 'word of mouth,' hopefully in a positive light.
learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

It's nice that you didn't stop with complaining about him, but went on to talk with him about his business practices. Sounds like he's turned around for you at least. Hopefully other customers will profit from your efforts. I hope so, because it seems like a lot of people are happy with his chanters.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

learnthegrip wrote:It's nice that you didn't stop with complaining about him, but went on to talk with him about his business practices. Sounds like he's turned around for you at least. Hopefully other customers will profit from your efforts. I hope so, because it seems like a lot of people are happy with his chanters.

Thank you for your comment!
Arbo
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

I have a D full set and a B chanter from him and I'm very happy with both, don't own pipes by other makers anymore. Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Better luck than I've had. I bought a C full set from him a couple of years ago. Two sets of reeds were promised with the set. The single set of reeds that arrived with the set were barely functional, and every request for the second set went unanswered. As soon as I get this set reeded, it will be up for sale. The workmanship of the set itself is very good (it's the sixth set in his online gallery, ebony, boxwood, and brass). The customer support, at least at the time I bought the set, is lamentable.
islander wrote:Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

daveboling wrote:Better luck than I've had. I bought a C full set from him a couple of years ago. Two sets of reeds were promised with the set. The single set of reeds that arrived with the set were barely functional, and every request for the second set went unanswered. As soon as I get this set reeded, it will be up for sale. The workmanship of the set itself is very good (it's the sixth set in his online gallery, ebony, boxwood, and brass). The customer support, at least at the time I bought the set, is lamentable.
islander wrote:Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.
dave boling
That set looks beautiful! I am sorry to hear about the reed issues.

Arbo
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I was contacted by Richard yesterday, with an offer to get me a set of working reeds.
I know by experience that in running a one man business, things can fall through the cracks. Here's to hoping he has worked through whatever issues prevented him from giving satisfaction to his customers.
I will post sound samples of the set when I have it up and purring. I'd post video also, but it's still a bit early for Halloween :shock:
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

In these troublesome times I had a exciting day yesterday. My new halfset from Richard Patkos arrived.
The set is a absolute piece of art and plays almost by itself! Absolutely fantastic! Richard has been a dream to deal with! He kept me informed all the way and sent pictures of the progress. Answered all my questions promptly and even finished the set way before schedule! I am utterly impressed!