Syn LoW D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Syn LoW D

Post by JTU »

Whilst on the subject of low whistles I picked up a new Syn low D at a local folk festival a week ago.
Nice whistle, nice price ($180 AUD). Different sound when compared to the MK I own. Not as loud as the MK but the Syn has a quite lovely smooth full mellow sound. Not a better or worse sound than the MK, just different. Certainly different enough to form the view that it’s worth having both. The Syn is harder to play as the holes are a tad larger and so more difficult to cover or at least that’s how it seems to me. A little more back pressure on the Syn. The low E and D notes on the Syn take careful breath control unlike the MK where you can just go for it but that is just a matter of practice and muscle memory. The Syn takes longer to warm up than the MK. I had read that the Syn clogs easily. I haven’t found that to be the case. I’m a wet blower. More moisture comes out of the MK than the Syn.
All the best
JTU
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Syn LoW D

Post by swizzlestick »

I am very pleased with my own Syn low D. It's the most air efficient low D I have ever played which I find very useful for slower tunes.

Surprised that you don't see any special clogging issues, but I suspect I don't always warm the head enough before playing in the colder months.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Re: Syn LoW D

Post by JTU »

I have only had it for a week or so of warm early autumn Australian weather. I may have a different take on it in the middle of Winter.
Cheers