Synthetic Dream Material

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Synthetic Dream Material

Post by Casey Burns »

This material should be impervious to changes in humidity and temperature. I'll be leaving some in a hot car over summer to see if that degrades it. I am exploring it as an alternative to Delrin for people who must have something that can stand up to an extreme climate.

Casey
Andro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Casey Burns wrote:(this is to ovalize the bore shape).
Are flute bores oval? I know lengthwise we can have cylindrical to conical etc. But the section elliptical? Are flutes like that?

Andrew
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

They get that way with time because wood shrinks differently in different planes.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Just for any info on tooling, etc. that might be helpful when working with Richlite:

https://www.ecosupplycenter.com/brands/ ... ion-guide/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I find the slightly ovalized bores of flutes play and feel more lively than a perfectly round bore. In the modern flute industry some makers slightly squeeze the tubing for this effect.

Thanks Kevin for the machining etc. sheet. That will be useful.

Casey
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

This material is really intriguing. It reminds me of "GreenLinE", a material developed by Buffet Crampon and which is used for some of its high-end models as a substitute to ABW. Apparently it's made of 95% Grenadilla wood powder and 5% epoxy resin. It's very stable and doesn't crack, but I heard that when it falls it breaks like glass. Having said that, I don't think a fall would do any good to a wooden flute...

Edit: found the actual composition of the stuff...
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Casey Burns wrote:I find the slightly ovalized bores of flutes play and feel more lively than a perfectly round bore. In the modern flute industry some makers slightly squeeze the tubing for this effect.
Interesting. Is there a preferred orientation to the oval? Long axis through the toneholes and embouchure hole, or perpendicular to them? (I can see the latter making the flute slightly easier to hold.) Do you want the whole bore oval, or does the headjoint stay round?

(See also this intriguing thread, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110184)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Casey Burns wrote:I find the slightly ovalized bores of flutes play and feel more lively than a perfectly round bore. In the modern flute industry some makers slightly squeeze the tubing for this effect.

Thanks Kevin for the machining etc. sheet. That will be useful.

Casey
De nada.

I did searches on the guitar forums, etc. and there seem to be no particular problems with Richlite, other than lack of color stability (some graying over time, restored by wiping with oil). Possible easier fracturing/splintering, so may not be as robust as Delrin if dropped. Repair technicians doing neck resets have had some burning/bubbling of the Richlite with contact by hot lightbulbs, but otherwise have been good with steaming & heat blankets to approx. 350 degrees F. Some references to being careful with oils, as some apparently not best for fretboard use. There are paper/resin products from other companies that do show streaks/patterns on sanding as they may have paper layering, at least towards the surfaces of the materials, and you can wear through those. Richlite is claimed to be all from ground wood pulp, so does not appear to be a factor with that.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Casey any updates on the richlite experiment?