Does anybody use a keyed fife for practicing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Does anybody use a keyed fife for practicing?

Post by Sedi »

I came across the Miller Browne marching fifes. I wasn't even aware that they come in keyed versions that look very much like a miniature simple system flute. (The German marching band fifes look different and have a different fingering system to a keyless simple system flute or a normal 6-hole fife). With 5 keys they cost just around 150€ for one in Bb. And they seem to have a conical bore much like a proper flute. I was thinking about getting one as a cheap alternative to a normal full-size keyed simple system flute (which I cannot afford at the moment). But I am not sure if the fingering is really the same. It looks like it is however.
The reason I am asking is that I am contemplating getting an Aulos baroque flute for the chromatic playing (please, no discussion about what a "chromatic" instrument is -- I can and do play chromatically on my home-made flute but it's not really easy and some notes just don't sound good, like a half-holed Eb in the first octave) but the Aulos costs around 360€ including shipping from Japan and taxes (it would be even more expensive when buying locally). A Miller Browne fully keyed fife with tuning slide would be less than half. It's not really meant for ITM but more for other stuff I am playing and for which an easier chromatic playing and easier 3rd octave might be useful. Just an example -- one of my favourite melodies of all times is "Last Waltz" from the movie "Old boy" (the original Korean version). But it is a bugger to play on a keyless flute or whistle.
So what do you think? Is it worth getting one?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Does anybody use a keyed fife for practicing?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWIW, I have a Miller Browne Bb I would be happy to sell for half-ish the new price plus postage. :wink:
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

With keyes and tuning slide? I might indeed be interested but only as soon as the next paycheck comes in. Might take about 2-3 weeks (depending on how fast I finish the current project). It's possible however I opt for the Aulos AF-1 in the end. So I can let you know in a few weeks. If that's ok?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes keyed but I don't think there's a tuning slide. Mind you, it's been standing in a vase since 1979 and I haven't touched it since. It's not going anywhere so give me a shout if or when you want it.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Will do -- thanks for the offer. The fife is almost as old as I am (or maybe older -- depending on when you put it in the vase :lol: ).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There you have it. Bought in spring 1979, can't remember exactly where but probably McCullough-Piggott or Walton's in Dublin or some place like that.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Nice! Is it already made from plastic like today or is it wood? (I don't have a preference either way just curious)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Something Delrin/plastic-ish
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've looked at them a few times, (there are several pre used on Ebay) - but how does the first octave play, aren't they tuned to play the high octaves well(?).

From what I have found, they are made in Ireland, & aren't all that expensive brand new, but are wooden, which is not my preference.

Was just about to post when I saw your posts, so they are made of something other than wood, so maybe I will try one myself.

Edit: Just found this website, made by Generation now, it would seem.
https://generationmusic.co.uk/dev/produ ... -key-fife/
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They used to be made by Barnes & Mullins, who also made Generation, the company split or made a restart or just changed its name but they were always made in Shropshire.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

All the ones I found from that brand online were some kind of polymer/plastic. And I think they should be good enough in tune in the 1st octave, too. I think the main reason that fifes are played more in the 2nd and 3rd octave is volume.
Can't really tell from Mr.Gumby's pic but the newer ones seem to have a conical bore and the head seems to be lined on the ones with tuning slide -- I guess the material of the slide extends into the head. So the conical bore should keep them in tune, I hope, also when playing just the 1st and 2nd octave. Which is what I intend to do mainly with a few exceptions.
https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Browne-Ma ... B00OZOP098
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

These are band flutes not fifes and are mostly high pitched though I’ve had a few that would play near modern pitch.
The are in Bb mostly though other pitches like C exist.
They can be had for sometimes very little on eBay (UK). Only Rudall Carte or Hawkes and Son Crowne AZs attract much interest.
A great way to get into fixing up old flutes is redoing a few of these first.
Foam pads, learn about doing cracks, etc.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

A very quick browse on eBay UK and I counted over 20 band flutes currently for sale most priced about 60-70 quid which is more than I’d pay. If your patient you should be able to get a decent one around 20-30 quid.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The are in Bb mostly though other pitches like C exist.

I recently saw/heard played one of the original instruments of the old Kilfenora fife and drum band. To my surprise it6 was in fact an F flute. Perhaps there was a range wider than we realise?

Ofcourse F flutes will combine just fine with Bb and C instruments.

My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Yes the full set of flutes for a flute corps would have used
Bb treble flutes or melody flutes
Eb piccolo
F flutes
Eb bass (what we call Eb flutes)
Bb bass (what we call Bb flutes though usually with covered key work)

But they also exist in outlying keys like B, C, F piccolo, I have a piccolo marked E that does appear to be pitched around modern E (this may be a very high pitched Eb but the b symbol is missing) and G fourth flutes, even A fifth flutes
Fourth and fifth flutes come up for sale very rarely but they do exist.

Basel piccolo music uses d piccolos and G fourth flutes (called a bass piccolo if you can believe that)