Question about the sound of my new MK Kelpie Low D.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gerardo1000

Question about the sound of my new MK Kelpie Low D.

Post by gerardo1000 »

I recently purchased a brand new MK Kelpie Low D whistle. This is the first MK whistle that I ever owned.
I find its low octave sound a bit quiet and, most importantly, a bit muffled. I wonder if other forum members who own the same whistle could comment on this ? My other Low Ds are a Chieftain V5, a Dixon with aluminum
body, and a Susato Dublin. Thanks !
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Question about the sound of my new MK Kelpie Low D.

Post by kkrell »

I had a Kelpie, but sold it to get a tunable MK Pro. I don't notice any difference in the playing characteristics. It's very flute-like in tone. Plenty strong, but maybe not in comparison to your others?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Mine plays very similar to the V5. Maybe a little louder.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

gerardo1000 wrote:

...MK Kelpie Low D whistle...the first MK whistle that I ever owned...its low octave a bit quiet...a bit muffled...

My other Low Ds are a Chieftain V5, a Dixon with aluminum body, and a Susato…
I've owned a half-dozen different MK Low Ds, all made before the Kelpie was introduced. All my MKs had tuning slides. The best of the lot was my primary instrument for several years.

I also owned or tried Low Ds by a number of different makers including the ones you mention.

What's strange is that I don't think I've played a Low D louder than those MKs, by any maker.

It makes me wonder if there's something amiss with your MK.

On the other hand the "muffled" comment may simply refer to the MK's unique tone. I liken it to the sound of the Bulgarian kaval, gravelly, dirty, and complex, yet with a powerful core.

I love the MK's tone. Some hate it.

To give us some common tonal grounds for discussion, here's what I would call a "pure focused dark tone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnU3IGtK1kU

Here's what I would call a "dirty gravelly Kaval-like tone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYb1QCKDYZ8&t=13s

My MKs were more like the latter than the former.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
kittynyc
Tell us something.: Hi there, I'm a New York City-based tin whistler. I have a lot of free time on my hands thanks to virus-related cancellations and am finally getting around to creating an account.

Post by kittynyc »

I have a Kelpie and am inclined to agree somewhat. Compared to a polymer Dixon whistle the sound is more breathy and complex while the Dixon is beefier. The Kelpie's not exactly quiet but it's not as clear on the attack, especially on the low notes.