Piping and Covid-19

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Piping and Covid-19

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Driving through Miltown Malbay this morning, I couldn't help noticing the Willie Clancy statue was wearing a surgical facemask. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone did it. I wasn't carrying a camera, unfortunately. :D
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Piping and Covid-19

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Driving through Miltown Malbay this morning, I couldn't help noticing the Willie Clancy statue was wearing a surgical facemask. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone did it. I wasn't carrying a camera, unfortunately. :D
Shame. That would have been one for the album. Well, they'll be bound to do it again ...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

benhall.1 wrote:Shame. That would have been one for the album. Well, they'll be bound to do it again ...
Easily fixed. The weather hadn't improved since this morning but it would be a shame to not have it.

:wink:
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Excellent! :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

As an aside, I read that you're more likely to catch the thing if you're wearing a mask than if you're not.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

benhall.1 wrote:I read that you're more likely to catch the thing if you're wearing a mask than if you're not.
Read the myth busters. This one, for example. I'll say no more, we wouldn't want the mods to think we're talking medical, do we? :D

We have a bit of a cluster near here, Ennistymon was very quiet this morning. The Corofin festival was in full swing last night and didn't seem particularly quiet at all. Pleasant and very nice music (was at a concert with the Kane sisters and John Blake and Tony Linnane, Danny Mahoney and Mick Conneely, as well as a bit of a session before that). Handsanitisers provided in a lot of places.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

A true photographer to immediately remedy the situation. Thank you for posting!
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

That’s great! :lol:
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I'm not far from the area in the US currently most affected. Music sessions and performances are being postponed or cancelled outright.
I guess for now I'm getting my trad music fix with the "Piper's Choice" DVDs.

Over the weekend I drove out to a more rural area a couple hours away. I found that the local community hall has cancelled old-timey dance nights. Music sessions are continuing, since there are fewer people and no physical contact.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Book early for the Willie Clancy week ? Hmmm, I'd hold off for a while yet !! :really: :o
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hard to say exactly what will happen in a few months time but 2020 could well become a year without Willie. St Patrick's Day is officially off the menu now as well, or at least the parades are.

My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Well if nothing else good is coming out of the pandemic, at least I’m getting some time to practice.
PJ
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Thanks Mr.Gumby for the excellent link!

I'm a math teacher here in California ("Maths" for all you Brits). The school system throughout the State has almost entirely shut down or gone web-based for the next 3 weeks. My school shut down yesterday, and we were told to go home and quarantine as much as possible. In fact, we were told that the campus itself would be closed down during this time and we wouldn't be allowed back to work in our classrooms at all. The plan is to re-open school again on April 14th, but that like everything right now is fluid and subject to change. It feels surreal to be honest. However, on the positive side, it is going to be a great opportunity to spend time with the family (wife and two young daughters). We had a great first day with daddy home.

I hope and pray good health during this time. Blessings!
Joseph Sampson
Sampson Cane- California cane
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
http://sampsoncane.com