Catherine McEvoy - The Blarney Pilgrims Podcast

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BlarneyPilgrimsPod
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: We’re two Irish lads based in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and we create a weekly Irish music podcast about tunes and how people fell in love with the music. It’s really good, even if we say so ourselves ; )

Dom plays whistle
Darren plays clawhammer banjo

Catherine McEvoy - The Blarney Pilgrims Podcast

Post by BlarneyPilgrimsPod »

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting and I hope me sharing this podcast is appropriate.

Last week I got to catch up with Catherine McEvoy and this is the result. It's a mix of tunes and really great chats on growing up in Birmingham, on the Sligo-Roscommon style, on slowing down Seamus Tansey records, on the Birmingham Ceili Band and Táin Ceili Band, on Peig McGrath, on women in traditional Irish music, on piano accompaniment and on Michael Grinter and Rudall and Rose flutes.

In the episode Catherine plays:

East of Glendart / The Green Fields of Woodford
The Boys Of The Lough / The Devils of Dublin
Grace’s Hornpipe (Original)
The Lad from Mt Kisco / Dominic’s Farewell to Cashel

Catherine finished on a beautiful slow air but I missed the name sorry. If anyone knows the name of this air please let me know and I’ll update the show notes.

The podcast is free and you can listen to it everywhere you get podcasts like:

Our website: https://blarneypilgrims.fireside.fm/39

Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2IfWr5e

Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/2Iayhcy

Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2TfZCAg

Anyway, hope you enjoy enjoy!
Darren
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Re: Catherine McEvoy - The Blarney Pilgrims Podcast

Post by mendipman »

Wonderful podcast Darren, Thank you for posting the links.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Great podcast. Love her playing and stories. Thanks!!
BlarneyPilgrimsPod
Tell us something.: We’re two Irish lads based in Geelong, Victoria, Australia and we create a weekly Irish music podcast about tunes and how people fell in love with the music. It’s really good, even if we say so ourselves ; )

Dom plays whistle
Darren plays clawhammer banjo

Post by BlarneyPilgrimsPod »

You're more than welcome. We have another two flute episodes. One with Corinn Strating (ep 2) and the other with Beth McCracken (ep 8 ). Both amazing players with very different styles.

I should also note the name of the last tune we missed is actually called Bánchnoic Éireann Ó. The podcast notes have been updated but it'll take a few days to appear in podcast apps.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I've been meaning to give the podcast a listen, so thanks for the reminder!
Also listened to the episode with Tola Custy, which was a blast.