Tuning Dixon Alto A DX007A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Tuning Dixon Alto A DX007A

Post by learn2turn »

I recently bought a Tuneable Alto A Whistle (Brass Trad) by Tony Dixon DX007A.

Right now it's flat. I happen to be running a spectrum analyzer (spectroid on android) as I was curious about harmonics and it registered at 434hz. It's 6 cents flat on a tuner app.

The fipple is stuck on the body such that it doesn't move. So I'm wondering how to do it.

With my cheap D whistles, I put the end in 150F water for about 30 seconds and then able to slide the fipple. Should I do it with this one also? Or is there some other technique?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Tuning Dixon Alto A DX007A

Post by Sedi »

I think it should be tunable. At least my trad brass G was. But it required a strong twist of the mouthpiece at first.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Likewise, my 'A' & 'G' Trads needed a firm twist to start the heads moving, they don't seem to have been lubricated, or else it has dried out.

(A touch of cork grease will keep them free moving.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

it registered at 434hz. It's 6 cents flat on a tuner app.
At A=434 hz it is 6 Hertz flat, that's an A a lot more cents than 6, at least 20-ish I'd say. Hz and cents are different things. A mistake easily made (been there, done that).

Calculator
My brain hurts

learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Okay, I gave it a good firm twist and got it to turn. Now I can adjust it.

But, it's still flat (434hz) and the tube is all the way in against the stop inside the fipple. Am I going to have to trim the tube? If so, is there a recommended procedure?

Re cents, I don't know what the tuner app on my phone reads in, I guess it's not cents. I put my little clip on tuner I use with my mandolin on it and I did get about 18-20 cents flat.

-l2t
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

If you really want to cut a piece off, cut from the top (3mm should be enough) NOT from the bottom as that will mess up the tuning.
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

I may be unlucky but out of the eleven "tuneable" whistles I have in various keys, eight need the head pushed all the way in to be in tune so there's no margin to sharpen them. Two that can be sharpened are only pulled out 1mm to be in tune. The only satisfactorily "tuneable" one is a relatively inexpensive Dixon polycarbonate low D.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I have one like those, too. Only can be tuned flat not sharp. I could just cut a piece of the top if I wanted to. Can be done with any ordinary pipecutter from the hardware store.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Trimming is best done with a jeweler´s frame saw. Blades and saw available at bead stores, or sometimes big box hardware stores. A pipe fitters trick is to use a paper or card board ´collar´ to use a sharpies and clearly mark your cut-off line.
Alternatively, you can take off 1 to 3 mm with very coarse carbarundum paper, like #40 or #80, then dress off with a finer grade.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Much easier to use a pipecutter. I know what I am talking about as I make whistles and flutes myself. Why use a saw? It's much harder to get a clean and straight cut. No metal saw I ever came across (at least not in a normal hardware store) was able to cut as cleanly or as straight as a pipecutter. You just need to sand the inside a little after cutting. I cannot count the instances when one of my multiple saws developed a mind of her own and messed up a whistle (cuts at an unwanted angle or slipping and scratching up the tube are the most common issues). So for every round tube (aluminium, even steel) I use a pipecutter.
There is a reason however that might favor a saw in this case. You could probably smash the tube if you're not careful with the pipecutter. But it's an A whistle, so the tube is not as thin as of a high D.