Novice thinking about getting a Low A ( I think)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Novice thinking about getting a Low A ( I think)

Post by learn2turn »

(First, I sure darn with there was a way to search for "low a" but it says all terms must be at least three characters.)

I have a few high D whistles I play a few minutes every day and thought I might like to get a lower pitch one. I want to stay in the $50-90 range.

Reasons for wanting a lower whistle include-- I like lower more haunting tone but I'm not ready skill-wise for $$$-wise to jump to a low D; it's just nice to have a variety of instruments around for a variety of sounds; and finally, it may sound silly but there's a fiddle tune in D I really like to play on my mandolin that I'd like to play on whistle but it goes almost two octaves A to G so it doesn't fit a D whistle well but I would think it would fit well on an A (or maybe G).

I don't know if G or A makes that much of a difference. I can easily play one key up or down on the circle-of-5ths so G would get me CGD and A would be DAE.

I looked around and see the Freeman Low A and also the Susato Dublin and Kildare. Anyone comment on which of those would fit the bill (or any others)?

And, does it make a big diff choosing A or G?

-l2t
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Novice thinking about getting a Low A ( I think)

Post by Sedi »

A whistle in A might be more useful as you can easily play tunes in D on it. I have the Tony Dixon A. Easy to blow, maybe too easy for some as you need some breath control. I think between Susato and Freeman I'd go for the Freeman as I like the more traditional chiffy sound. Susatos are often quite loud but that might not be true for the A. Never played one.
Maddie
Tell us something.: My musical interests include soprano, alto, tenor & bass recorders, 12-hole alto C ocarina, and high D tin whistle.

Post by Maddie »

leearn2turn wrote:(First, I sure darn with there was a way to search for "low a" but it says all terms must be at least three characters.)...
You can search this site using Google instead. Copy the following line into Google's search box:

site:chiffandfipple.com inurl:f=1 "low a whistle"
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

I just bought a Becker Whistles low D and it seems to be very well made, and the price was very good - $24 including shipping. I am struggling with the piper's grip so I almost wish I had bought a low A first!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have Tony Dixon trad brass & tuneable aluminium, plus an aluminium Chieftain in 'A'.
They are all quite easy players, with good tone.

A 'G' might need slightly altered stretch/fingering, depending on your hands.
(I have a Tony Dixon trad brass & tuneable ABS.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

By "low A" do you mean a Mezzo A, halfway between a Low D and a High D, or a Bass A, fourth lower than a Low D?

Here are both demonstrated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fQhvleWq8&t=4s

I suspect you mean a Mezzo A. I've owned

Susato (I've had three, with three different bore sizes)

Burke

Sindt

But my favourite, and the only one I still own, is a Generation Bb head modified by Jerry Freeman on an A body that I made myself.

If I were you I would first get a Jerry Freeman Generation A. It will likely out-play A's costing several times more.

Here, far left, is my Freeman Generation Bb head on home-made body Mezzo A. It's the best A I've ever played.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Lyscanthrope
Tell us something.: I am interrested in Irish music and an aspiring flute player.
I started on a doug tipple then I switched to a baudet ....I love it !

Post by Lyscanthrope »

I understand that you have a song that you would like to play hence this choice of tonality for the whistle.

To be honest I would prefer the G because it is easier to play tune in g and I like the tone of lower whistle. But it is up to each person taste :)

Regarding the stretch, I think it isn't a big jump and I second the tony Dixon for not-cheap but not expensive whistle as I'm happy with my duo in G.
Best regards
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

I ended up ordering a Dixon A from Mcleena. Should arrive from across the pond in a couple weeks. I also bought a Generation Bb on Amazon for about $15 or so and it arrived in a day and I'd have one more whistle to play around with and another key. It plays well enough to be quite usable for the money.

If I end up liking the Dixon A, I may order a G also. They are not that expensive.

-l2t