Anybody have a David Angus "folk flute"? What do you think?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Anybody have a David Angus "folk flute"? What do you thi

Post by kkrell »

The [sic] insertions were for so I wouldn't freak out about spelling. Please don't be offended. My problem, not yours.

I thought one turns the embouchure out away from you to flatten the note, & it would be sharper if you cover more and blow down into the flute. Without a change in technique, then yes, you'd adjust the position of the slide.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Ah, okay, no all is fine. I am unfortunately prone to overractions, my apologies.
If you cover more of the embouchure the note gets flatter. If you turn it way from you, it gets sharper. I guess that was all just a misunderstanding. D'oh, I am bad at online communications. :(
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Oh, almost forgot to post a little update on the flute. I still like it a lot. It takes very, very little air. That is probably due to the old-fashioned oval embouchure. It also takes only a tiny amount of air to get a powerful tone but also a very focussed embouchure. So maybe not the best flute for an absolute beginner but still a gorgeous instrument and a steal for the price. I noticed that I was blowing almost too hard. It needs a soft touch and then can produce a sound that will knock the socks of your feet and the roof oy your house. As soon as I get better at playing it, I will upload something to YT.
acw
Tell us something.: I enjoy reading about topics in traditional music, especially related to whistles and uilleann pipes.

Post by acw »

Sedi wrote:Oh, almost forgot to post a little update on the flute. I still like it a lot. It takes very, very little air. That is probably due to the old-fashioned oval embouchure. It also takes only a tiny amount of air to get a powerful tone but also a very focussed embouchure. So maybe not the best flute for an absolute beginner but still a gorgeous instrument and a steal for the price. I noticed that I was blowing almost too hard. It needs a soft touch and then can produce a sound that will knock the socks of your feet and the roof oy your house. As soon as I get better at playing it, I will upload something to YT.
I just stumbled across Davy Angus’s site, and I’m considering getting one of his flutes. Your assessment definitely makes them seem like a great instrument for the price.

Any chance of a quick audio/video clip? It’s difficult to hear the actual flutes in his YouTube samples.

Thanks!
Alan
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I never got around to uploading a video. And I play my own flutes now. But I still think it is a good instrument, the holes are close together and the 2nd octave is fairly easy. The lowest notes lack a little oomph however. I think the reason is the stopper position which sits at 17 mm like on a boehm flute. One or two millimeter more would probably increase the punch of the low D but will also mess with the tuning.
I'll try to find the time to upload something. I wanted to make a new whistle video, too.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

So I finally had the time to upload a video. Sloppy playing but you might get an idea of how it sounds. The bell note is a bit weak but I would have to play more on it (I mostly play my own aluminium flutes which require no oiling or any maintenance at all, which just suits my practice style which consists of multiple short practice sessions a day). It can sound much stronger on the bottom end. And maybe the stopper could be moved 1mm further out without affecting the tuning too much to make the bell note a bit stronger. Of course a better player than me would probably sound much better on it anyway. The craftsmanship is really nice btw.
https://youtu.be/fj9hQ2XQDGo