Advice on buying first keyless Flute (Hammy Hamilton)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kildarekonga
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: The Best Trad Flute Playlist in the World, Probably
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x4lHZhpaND

Advice on buying first keyless Flute (Hammy Hamilton)

Post by kildarekonga »

Looking at meeting up with someone to look at
https://www.adverts.ie/19729613

My first keyed flute.
I have a Seery and an Olwell keyless but am interested in trying the loudness of a Hamilton.

Any idea looking at the pics if it’s left or right handed?
Other than the usual (cracks, joints) and of course playability/fit with me - anything specific (pads/key
Action) to Hammy that I should look out for?

Thanks

Neil
Mr.Gumby

Re: Advice on buying first keyless Flute (Hammy Hamilton)

Post by Mr.Gumby »

am interested in trying the loudness of a Hamilton
It's all in the player isn't it? I had a Hamilton that I could sort of mange, I thought. Then I let a young local man who I was teaching the pipes have a go. He rattled the roof and shook the windows playing it. An astonishing volume that I couldn't imagine I'd ever achieve.
My brain hurts

kildarekonga

Post by kildarekonga »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
am interested in trying the loudness of a Hamilton
It's all in the player isn't it? I had a Hamilton that I could sort of mange, I thought. Then I let a young local man who I was teaching the pipes have a go. He rattled the roof and shook the windows playing it. An astonishing volume that I couldn't imagine I'd ever achieve.
Absolutely. It’s that mythical canon-quality I want to have a crack at. Or sell on :(
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The flute appears to be right handed.
Nice looking flute. I’d miss the Bb/Eb keys though at that price.
One of the loudest flute experiences I ever heard was Hammy playing an Eb of his own make. He played an air and the tone cut through the room like a buzz saw.
Magic
kildarekonga

Post by kildarekonga »

dunnp wrote:The flute appears to be right handed.
Nice looking flute. I’d miss the Bb/Eb keys though at that price.
One of the loudest flute experiences I ever heard was Hammy playing an Eb of his own make. He played an air and the tone cut through the room like a buzz saw.
Magic
Thanks. That ‘the Bb/Eb keys’ comment - sorry I’ve never had a keyless - I know what the keys do but what would the practical impact e.g. examples of tunes/key hard to play?

Thanks Neil
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

kildarekonga wrote:Looking at meeting up with someone to look at
https://www.adverts.ie/19729613

My first keyed flute.
I have a Seery and an Olwell keyless but am interested in trying the loudness of a Hamilton.

Any idea looking at the pics if it’s left or right handed?
Other than the usual (cracks, joints) and of course playability/fit with me - anything specific (pads/key
Action) to Hammy that I should look out for?

Thanks

Neil
I'd suggest you look for either a 6-key, or a 4-key that includes short F, G#, Bb, Eb. The one you've linked to has BOTH long & short F, G# and a C, which seems less versatile to me. While a C key can be nice to have, you can half-hole a decent C on most flutes, certainly a Hammy.

Alternatively, you might just pick up a keyless Hamilton if you want a flute that cuts through. I think it's more a case of a Hammy's tone that does that, than the volume. Seery & most Olwells should be plenty loud enough.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

kildarekonga wrote:sorry I’ve never had a keyless
Puzzled by your use of 'keyless' in both topic subject and here... it appears you're actually looking for a flute with keys?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kildarekonga

Re: Advice on buying first keyed Flute (Hammy Hamilton)

Post by kildarekonga »

Peter Duggan wrote:
kildarekonga wrote:sorry I’ve never had a keyless
Puzzled by your use of 'keyless' in both topic subject and here... it appears you're actually looking for a flute with keys?
Well spotted. You win the prize.
That’s a typo. I have a keyless and looking at a keyed flute.
Didn’t even notice that subject line.
niallt

Post by niallt »

You won't miss the Bb and Eb keys much - they're not really used much in Irish trad. They keys on this flute are the ones you would use more often, contrary to what an earlier poster suggested. If you're already playing the flute, try to think of any times you were playing a tune and were stuck for a Bb or Eb - very rarely, unless you're playing lots of barndances. Many flute players (myself included) rotate the foot section of the flute to get the Eb key out of the way.

A long F and short F do have their advantages - there are some note progressions that are better suited to using a long/short F. A C natural key is usually more accurate (although slower) than cross fingering the C natural, and the G# gets plenty of use.

However, a four keyed flute might be less easy to sell on than a six keyed flute if you decide not to hang on to this flute. The price of this one doesn't seem outrageous for a Hammy 4 key, though I'm no expert (I play Olwells) - have a look through the UIE Old and Sold to get a feel for the right prices.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's a keyed one for sale in France, if you fancy it. Cheaper too. (nothing to do with me, just passing a bit of time while storm Ciara is passing through)

also spotted a nice Solen Lesouef 3 key eflat as well as D and F Tom Aebis and a lefthanded Hammy B and plenty of other things on the go.
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There's a keyed one for sale in France, if you fancy it. Cheaper too. (nothing to do with me, just passing a bit of time while storm Ciara is passing through)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de ... 658558.htm
Now, that's a deal. I think we know the seller, too.

Oops, the flute listed above is an Eb 6-key:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110015
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Is that a Rudall style Hammy, it's got got the two piece mid section? If so not the norm. Different shape blower (embouchure) too ?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

gorjuswrex wrote:Is that a Rudall style Hammy, it's got got the two piece mid section? If so not the norm. Different shape blower (embouchure) too ?
That's true, it does look a bit different from what I'm used to. No apparent metal reinforcement of the tenons. The modern cut embouchure & the split may have been a customer request. Perhaps with the shorter length of an Eb flute it's possible to do a split body Pratten without the (we'll call it) G# key placement being a problem. End cap & rings seem correct, and it looks like Hammy's use of coil springs on the keys.
kildarekonga

Post by kildarekonga »

kkrell

Post by kkrell »

I can't tell from the photos if the flute is stamped with Hammy's mark, which implies an older flute. The other comments we've already made still stand. A flute in the key of D is most useful for Irish Traditional Music, so I would think that one pitched in Eb would not be the way to jump into the keyed flute world. A keyed flute in Eb could, however, be useful to a gigging professional, but generally as an additional, optional instrument.