Piccolo Case for Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Piccolo Case for Whistle

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

I'm looking for a hard case to store my Abell blackwood D. Would a standard piccolo case work okay?
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Piccolo Case for Whistle

Post by busterbill »

I got a piccolo case for a simple system piccolo and answered that question with an absolute no. The body of my whistles are too long. The head joint of a piccolo takes up more of the instrument's length, so even broken down a whistle doesn't fit. I had handy man moment where I questioned, "what if I bought 2 and spliced them together, but decided that would be iffy and too much work. The nice thing about the piccolo cases you can get cheap on ebay is the tiny efficient latches that would be perfect for a whistle case.

I have also tried to come up with an elegant case solution and so far failed. Short of having someone make you a custom hardwood box there is little out there.

I have often wondered with so may high end whistles out there why someone doesn't make a nice long thin box like a flute head joint case (also too short) for whistles. Certainly the most elegant case out there is the Northwind Case, and they do make custom cases, but they are pricey.

Glen Schultz used to supply wooden cases with his Thin Weasels, but I'm not sure if any other maker does.

My inelegant "hard case" for whistle transport is a length of pvc pipe with two ends capped with the appropriate size cap and a bit of paper towel in each end. This no glue required system is sturdy as heck. But I wouldn't want to store a wooden whistle in there since it would trap moisture. For brass whistles I just take an end off when I get home. I'd be hesitant with the Chris Abell whistle and this system since the sterling silver might scratch. But I know you have some brass whistles too.

I have spent a great deal of time searching ebay or instruments site or even art supply places looking for some sort of long but not too long box/case that could be repurposed and come up empty. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them too.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Matthewlawson3 wrote:I'm looking for a hard case to store my Abell blackwood D. Would a standard piccolo case work okay?
How about a whistle presentation case? These have been around for years.
http://www.hhfi.biz/products.html
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

How about a whistle presentation case? These have been around for years.
http://www.hhfi.biz/products.html[/quote]

Nice cases! Thanks for the tip! I have a c/d set of O'roirdan's that could use a more secure home!
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

]I'm looking for a hard case to store my Abell blackwood D. Would a standard piccolo case work okay?[/quote]

Oz Whistles sells a wooden whistle box on line for $35 AUD. Given the exchange rate that should be a bargain for overseas buyers. Works well for my Oz Blackwood D. I assume the Abel is the same bore size etc but you might want to check first.

Cheers
JTU
cng1
Tell us something.: I'm a new but avid tin whistler and would like to discuss whistle physics and construction on the forum. I'd also like to be able to respond to the for sale posts. I tried to make accounts earlier but had some issues with the system.

Post by cng1 »

busterbill wrote: My inelegant "hard case" for whistle transport is a length of pvc pipe with two ends capped with the appropriate size cap and a bit of paper towel in each end. This no glue required system is sturdy as heck.
I made some of these too. Very easy; they even cut the PVC for me at the hardware store. I wrap a whistle in a cloth napkin before putting it in the tube.
busterbill wrote:But I wouldn't want to store a wooden whistle in there since it would trap moisture.
Maybe just drill a hole in one or both of the endcaps?
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

cng1 wrote:
busterbill wrote: My inelegant "hard case" for whistle transport is a length of pvc pipe with two ends capped with the appropriate size cap and a bit of paper towel in each end. This no glue required system is sturdy as heck.
I made some of these too. Very easy; they even cut the PVC for me at the hardware store. I wrap a whistle in a cloth napkin before putting it in the tube.
busterbill wrote:But I wouldn't want to store a wooden whistle in there since it would trap moisture.
Maybe just drill a hole in one or both of the endcaps?
I have thought of that. The tube would likely need a hole here or there as well. I do have a leather pouch I store them in at home, but just ordered a presentation case from Alex DeWitt from the link above. I think it less likely to roll off the table at a session. :D I am thinking even with this case I will need to be aware of humidity, perhaps leaving the cover open a bit at home now and again. Experience will tell on that one. But they do seem lovely and practical. Being solid wood with a top and bottom latch and hinge it seems less likely to trap humidity.

As I also play the flute I sometimes prop the flute case vertically like a book on a library shelf during high humidity seasons, making sure the top of the headjoint faces up. I have no idea if this helps at all, but it seems logical that gravity would aid in draining any condensation that might be left inside.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

busterbill wrote:...just ordered a presentation case from Alex DeWitt (sic) from the link above.
Alex DeWilde

Let us know how that Hermit Hill case turns out. I wonder if there's room for a Humistat #1 in with a whistle.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

kkrell wrote:
busterbill wrote:...just ordered a presentation case from Alex DeWitt (sic) from the link above.
Alex DeWilde

Let us know how that Hermit Hill case turns out. I wonder if there's room for a Humistat #1 in with a whistle.

Andrew DeWilde Andrew DeWilde Andrew DeWilde... I have to get better control of my brain. :tomato: I would think you could order one with a slot for that. I gave him the measurements of my whistle. I wanted to keep to two channels and had two bodies so I'll have a 12+ inch case with the D whistle stored put together. I would think if a person were wanting a two slot case for one whistle with the head and body stored separately there would still be space to make a slot for one of those. The cases on his site are designed for two slots for one whistle and therefore would be shorter than mine but likely with the space for that.

I love the Humistat USA small humidifiers. They are so easy to use, easy to see when full or empty and quick to refill. At about the size of a chapstick or cork grease they are easy to fit in many cases.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

busterbill wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Alex DeWilde

Andrew DeWilde Andrew DeWilde Andrew DeWilde... I have to get better control of my brain. :tomato:
Alex DeWilde, Alex DeWilde, Alex DeWilde.

facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

Some feedback for any of you just wanting something simple to protect your collection of whistles. A while back I received a Dixon DX005 that was shipped in adjustable square poly tubing. I tracked down a U.S. source and ordered their “micro” pack. The link below should take you directly to what is needed for most D whistles. If the dimensions don’t appear, select an "inside width" of .787" (20mm) and a "to fit part length max” of 13.780” (350mm). This size will also compress enough, without modification, to accommodate the tiny Generation G.

https://tinyurl.com/usow73z
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

facet wrote:Some feedback for any of you just wanting something simple to protect your collection of whistles. A while back I received a Dixon DX005 that was shipped in adjustable square poly tubing. I tracked down a U.S. source and ordered their “micro” pack. The link below should take you directly to what is needed for most D whistles. If the dimensions don’t appear, select an "inside width" of .787" (20mm) and a "to fit part length max” of 13.780” (350mm). This size will also compress enough, without modification, to accommodate the tiny Generation G.

https://tinyurl.com/usow73z

I also got a Dixon in one of these. They open and close easily. You can see what's in them at a glance, and they don't roll off the table, if you are a person who slips your whistle into a backpack they should be fine.

Thanks for posting that link. I did a search for them years ago and couldn't find a supplier for less than a gazillion. The MIcro pack is tempting.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Would this case work for an Abell D?

https://www.vonhuene.com/p-6074-moeck-d ... -case.aspx