JP Downes Recording

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

JP Downes Recording

Post by Steve Bliven »

Anyone know of a source for the JP Downes Recording, "Traditional Flute Music from Quilty, Co. Clare"? It's not that old, but seems to have been on a small label. Can't seem to find it in the usual places.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: JP Downes Recording

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The local supermarket and newsagent used to have it but it's sold out. The local library has it on the shelf though. I can pop in and get it.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

You have a rather different supermarket inventory than we have here. And I'm only guessing what a newsagent is (somewhere that you can download the daily copy of the Washington Post?).

I'd greatly appreciate the library visit.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He used to do his shopping in the local Londis. They stocked it for some time after he died, all proceeds were going to a local cancer charity. All local musicians have their CDs in the newsagent's, which used to stock a remarkable range of trad music books as well.

I have the CD here now.

JP was, by the way, also featured in the North Clare video, with his neighbour playing the tongs. I also remember him present at the recording of the West Clare comhaltas video but I am not sure he had any solo spot there, I am not even sure I watched that in full.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, JP Downes has a solo spot with an introduction starting at 27 minutes into the video clip and then a flute and tong version of the Foxhunters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985SZH3rxd8
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Smashing film, :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Smashing film,
Eugene Lambe and Dick Grant did two films at the time, with Paschal Brooks behind the camera. One on various North Clare people and another one mostly on Micho Russell. I didn't know the first one was online (having just posted a forum member copies on dvd) and have no idea if the second one is.

Do note what is online is about half of it, there's a fair bit missing by the looks of it, the first half hour with the Kilhourys, Dinny McMahon, Gussie Russell and some of the other Doolin characters.

Eugene is still doing talks/presentations based on the material filmed during the eighties. I have seen him do this several times. He did another one in the Hall in Tubber a few weeks ago, which I was going to go to but forgot. It's worth catching, he has stories and insights to offer.

Always love Paddy 'Organ' going on how he put a hurricane through his flute. It was a different world.
My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Just getting around to watching that video.
Anywhere I can hear more of Joe “Coineen” not sure I’m hearing his name right?
The fella with the bamboo whistle.
Unearthly sounding music.
I’m going to learn “the Stone Wall”
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Joe Cunneen.

He was a Quilty man. He was in in the photo on the cover of the Hammy flute book, with Michael Falsey and his father (Falsey sr). He gave Mickey Dunne a lot of music when Mickey grew up around the area. He was also the whistleplayer playing with Denis Murphy in the film about the Kilrush Fleadh from the sixties.

There are private recordings. Some. possibly, on the Clare library site (I'd have to check which ones).
My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... in_T85.htm

He’s on the above. Nice setting of the Sligo Maid.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

https://digital.ucd.ie/view/ivrla:31109

Would like to hear him playing flute.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... in_T85.htm

He’s on the above. Nice setting of the Sligo Maid.
That's one I was thinking of, the Joe Vaughan recording of the Doolin excursion of 1962. But I believe there were other recordings too that included him, although perhaps not immediately apparent. That Doolin tape has a little bit of fluteplaying by Peter O'Loughlin that shows why he was such a superb player, nothing fancy going on some would say, but it's so spot on it would be hard to beat. The copy of the recording on the library site is a very poor one.

I have some Cunneen clips floating about but I am not completely sure where they are. The late Bill Ochs had planned to do some stylistic comparisons of Clare players for the Micho project and a fair few clips went up and down, of ten trying to identify who was playing in them. I remember some of Cunneen's were involved in that exchange.
My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »