NASA SLS Update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

NASA SLS Update

Post by daveboling »

Here's a photo that just came out of the SLS (Space Launch System) Core Stage being installed into the test stand at Stennis Space Center in southern Mississippi. From the NASA post: "The SLS core stage is the largest rocket stage ever built by NASA and stands 212 feet tall and measures 27.6 feet in diameter. It is equipped with state-of-the-art avionics, miles of cables, propulsion systems and propellant tanks that hold a total of 733,000 gallons of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen to fuel the four RS-25 engines during launch." "The Green Run testing will be the first top-to-bottom integrated testing of the stage’s systems prior to its maiden flight. Green Run testing will take place over several months and culminate with an eight-minute, full-duration hot fire of the stage’s four RS-25 engines to generate 2 million pounds of thrust, as during an actual launch."
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
trill

Re: NASA SLS Update

Post by trill »

Thanks for the update !

If possible, please give test dates as they approach.

trill
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

We receive an email every week with a link to a blog called "The Marshall Star" (go.nasa.gov/2RZLDgb), which may only be viewable to those on the Marshall Space Flight Center network. We also receive a link to a weekly youtube video called "This Week at NASA". If there is something interesting, I'll try to remember to post it.
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

cannon_gray
Tell us something.: They say that I am a hard-working person. I like reading. I think comics and detective stories are much easier to read but I prefer to read novels - historical or modern. I like the music. My musical tastes are different, it depends on my mood. But I think every apple is good in its season. I play the piano and the guitar, not seriously but for my soul.

Post by cannon_gray »

SLS has suffered from so many development problems, hardware and software, that the coronavirus delays are minor in comparison (it was supposed to launch in 2016). Now they've found comparability issues (rumor: vibrations, etc.) such that it may not be able to launch Europa Clipper without damaging it. Because of these, there's a new language in the NASA appropriations bill that if SLS is not "available" they can launch it commercially (likely Falcon Heavy with a Star-48 kick stage.)
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

There are a sizeable number of spacecraft which have to be launched within a particular window of time in order to be able to reach their destination within a certain time, or before propellant is exhausted. The NEA Scout CubeSat launching on SLS EM-1 has several windows in which there is not a suitable asteroid target within its operational lifespan. But, you have to dance with the one that brought you...

dave boling
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams