The Hunger Site

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

The Hunger Site

Post by Nanohedron »

C&F's link seems to be broken. I can access the site via the Web, so it's definitely operational otherwise. Any ideas?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Hunger Site

Post by david_h »

I can't get it at the URL in the link on the page http://www.thehungersite.com/ - gives 'server not found' the same as clicking the button.

There is a site https://thehungersite.greatergood.com/ that looks similar. Maybe the URL changed - or is that a different organisation? It has a similar vast number of tracking cookies.

The link worked a couple of weeks ago - I clicked it when I installed the ad-blocker so that they got something even if Dale doesn't
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I can't get it at the URL in the link on the page http://www.thehungersite.com/ - gives 'server not found' the same as clicking the button.

There is a site https://thehungersite.greatergood.com/ that looks similar. Maybe the URL changed - or is that a different organisation? It has a similar vast number of tracking cookies.
No, it's the same organization. The link worked yesterday, but for several weeks now it's been slow in loading, if that means anything.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h

Post by david_h »

Maybe they have been changing the hosting and things were not so good in the meantime. I guess the old simpler URL may come back.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I guess we'll see.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

It would seem The Hunger Site isn't what it was when Dale first set up the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Site#History.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:It would seem The Hunger Site isn't what it was when Dale first set up the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Site#History.
I've followed your link. Assuming the site works, it doesn't look that bad to me.
david_h

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:... it doesn't look that bad to me.
I guess it works much the same way as the several UK sites that charities can register with. The charity asks its supporters to go to various online stores via the intermediary and that gives the charity part of what it gets for the click. If we click on the banner ads on this page Dale would, presumably, get the whole of the click payment to help fund C&F.

Duckduckgo is reporting 24 tracking cookies (no duplicates) from the Hunger Site , I wonder if rejecting them alters the payment.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:I've followed your link. Assuming the site works, it doesn't look that bad to me.
Not necessarily bad, just not quite what it was when Dale set up the link.

It appears that thehungersite.com is still a registered domain name, but it is no longer showing up in domain name servers.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Tunborough wrote:It would seem The Hunger Site isn't what it was when Dale first set up the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Site#History.
I've followed your link. Assuming the site works, it doesn't look that bad to me.
It's apparent to me that the difference lies in the "greatergood" addition to the URL. C&F's link doesn't have this, and I'm assuming ours is therefore now obsolete. Is there a way for us to change that, Ben? I'd like to keep it operative, rather than have C&F drag a clutter of broken things behind it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
It's apparent to me that the difference lies in the "greatergood" addition to the URL. C&F's link doesn't have this, and I'm assuming ours is therefore now obsolete. Is there a way for us to change that, Ben? I'd like to keep it operative, rather than have C&F drag a clutter of broken things behind it.
Yes, so would I. I will try and investigate ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey! The clicky's working now, and it links to the new URL. Response seems snappier, too. Your doing, Ben?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Hey! The clicky's working now, and it links to the new URL. Response seems snappier, too. Your doing, Ben?
Er ... not that I know of ... I wasn't having a bit of a fiddle around with it, but I didn't think I'd managed to do anything ... nah ... I reckon it was Dale.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Huh. He hasn't said anything. In any event, all's well that ends well. :)
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

C&F didn't change; the button still links to the original URL. Somebody at Greater Good has presumably restored a system that answers that URL, and forwards visitors to the new Greater Good site automatically.