Embouchure - the horror!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Embouchure - the horror!

Post by Nanohedron »

neilC wrote:As promised, a clip. Jig of the Dead, Colraine Jig

N
Seriously, if it weren't for the topic, I wouldn't have even noticed what you are calling side-blowing. To my eyes it's so slight that at first I wondered what you were talking about!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Sedi wrote:You mean this one?
https://youtu.be/M6XTJY2E2AQ
Thank you, yes. Sideblowers seem to be in pretty good company. :D
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Thanks for the Kevin Crawford clip - makes me feel a lot better - I think I'll forget retraining, and focus on improving what is already there!
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Nanohedron wrote:
neilC wrote:As promised, a clip. Jig of the Dead, Colraine Jig

N
Seriously, if it weren't for the topic, I wouldn't have even noticed what you are calling side-blowing. To my eyes it's so slight that at first I wondered what you were talking about!
It actually came up because a group photo was taken for a band I started playing with, and a few people commented on an odd smile I had with one half of my mouth open, then I noticed I had totally different muscle development in my lips on either side so I started wondering why :) Being aware has already helped me improve so the journey continues!

ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I started having problems with the low D until I noticed that there was a radical difference in my grip between low D and e.g. E (which was sounding stronger than the D!) which meant that the flute was moving out of position when I fingered the low D. Mainly due to my pinkie changing the level of support it was providing. Noticing this and compensating for it brought the D back just fine. So; not always embouchure...

Chris
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

:D :thumbsup:
neilC

Post by neilC »

Just to round this thread off - as part of checking issues I had with both low D and tuning, I checked every key (piece of cling-film under every key, then removed each to see if there was a difference) - result was an issue with my long F - the pads on my flute are pretty hard and the spring on that key is quite weak - so the pad was actually lifting when I blew low D (probably E too, but less noticeable) - the more it leaked the harder I tried and the more it lifted... I've put a rubber band around that key for the moment and the difference is huge - the flute honks!

So thanks for all the advice - I've learned a lot :)

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Oh, never would have thought of that. But I did indeed have a similar problem with a boehm flute once. One of the pads was leaking.