McManus vs. Bleazy High D and C?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

McManus vs. Bleazy High D and C?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I'm curious if anyone can comment on the differences between these two whistles.
Nathaniel James Dowell
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: McManus vs. Bleazy High D and C?

Post by ecadre »

I've never played either, but "Wanderer", one of our residents here, has posted a couple of reviews.

Bleazey:- http://tinwhistler.com/Reviews/Details/6

McManus:- http://tinwhistler.com/Reviews/Details/72

It's worth having a look at some other reviews too to get a sense of his tastes in tin whistles. In any review some of the points are objective, and some subjective.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Thanks! I'm familiar with his work, but I didn't think to check for the Bleazy. It's very helpful. Sounds like two very different whistles.
Nathaniel James Dowell
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Thanks! I'm familiar with his work, but I didn't think to check for the Bleazy. It's very helpful. Sounds like two very different whistles.
I want to point out that the Bleazey review is from 2006, while the McManus review is 2019. Possibly current issue Bleazey whistles may have different characteristics or craftsmanship. I have no personal experience with a Bleazey - never seen one.

I do have versions of whistles by Roy McManus, Chris Abell, Gene Milligan, & Paul Busman (all acetyl/delrin except the McManus in blackwood). More similar than different. The McManus is probably the most satisfying at its price point, followed by the Milligan.

PS: The Abell & Busman whistles have shorter beaks than are comfortable for me.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I can not help with the differences with no experience with Bleazey whistles. I do have McManus whistles A, Bb, C, D in woods and ebonite. The A whistle is a bit of a stretch for my hands as all low whistles are and leads to early play cramps. Beautiful tone though.
viewtopic.php?p=1216971#p1216971

I do have a preference for wood whistles which generally render a warm flute like sound. Another factor I like about wood whistles in general is the tube is slightly larger in diameter which for my aging, cramping hands is easier for holding/playing longer sessions. The small metal whistle tubes can bring on cramping quite quickly. McManus whistles like other wooden whistles do require a bit of warm up playing before the whistle sings. The price point for McManus whistles is reasonable for me with short delivery times which I'm sure varies occasionally, and Roy is very easy to contact and work with for every build. I have other friends locally here who also play McManus whistles.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

First hand experience with (own) D and (low) A McManus whistles. Couldn't be happier. Great attention to detail. Beautiful workmanship. Very nice tone, strong players. These are louder than a standard whistle - probably in the "session" spectrum. But very rewarding and great intonation. I know at least another 4 people for whom the McManus D is a "goto" whistle for sessions and whom value the difference in the right circumstances of the wooden versus regular style whistle sound.

I suppose the only word of warning / comment that I'd make about the McManus whistles is that you need to commit to the tune and push them hard to get the best. They aren't for soft and gentle playing; or perhaps more correctly not for delicate or uncertain playing.

Don't know the other Bleazey whistles you refer to - haven't seen or heard them about.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Herro! I haven't posted on this forum for probably ten years... anyway, to the point: I had a couple of Bleazey whistles in the old days and they are decently made, nice wood and good strong tone with not too much breath in it, but they always had tuning issues. As I recall the octaves were a bit short and the C natural was quite flat. OK for playing solo but not so hot for playing with other instruments imo. I'm not familiar with the McManus, probably after my whistling days.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

killthemessenger wrote:Herro! I haven't posted on this forum for probably ten years... anyway, to the point: I had a couple of Bleazey whistles in the old days and they are decently made, nice wood and good strong tone with not too much breath in it, but they always had tuning issues. As I recall the octaves were a bit short and the C natural was quite flat. OK for playing solo but not so hot for playing with other instruments imo. I'm not familiar with the McManus, probably after my whistling days.
Interesting. I received a Bleazey Boxwood D, and an Applewood C a couple of weeks ago from a friend. They strike me as being a bit more challenging to play than some other whistles, but the tuning has felt okay. I'll have to investigate further. The C has a gorgeous, full tone, and is definitely my favorite of the two, but the D has some of the same characteristics, just a bit...higher.
Nathaniel James Dowell
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Well it was a long time ago. I may be off about the specifics, but I remember tuning was an issue with them. I was buying a lot of whistles and recorders in those days and for some reason Bleazey's instruments fascinated me. I also had a Bleazey session recorder which had substandard tuning. I sold them all eventually or gave them away.

Having said all that, if anything I've become more finicky about tuning over time, but also better at compensating with alternative fingerings. I don't think there's any simple instrument (recorder or whistle) that doesn't require alternative fingerings depending on the key you're playing it in. But out of tune in the home key is not a good thing.

And having said that, I looked at your video on the Bleazey and it certainly has a good rich tone. Reminds me why I liked it and persevered with it.

The most in tune whistle I ever had was a Fred Rose. Also had the loveliest, clearest tone of any whistle i've heard. I should really get another, having sold that one years ago when I decided to concentrate on recorder.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

@ Angelic Beaver here's Phil on Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsuTShIUFg
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

A good friend of mine swears by McManus whistles for his wedding reception gigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ilOz-RxUk

His recording isn't exactly 'dry' -- but you can hear the sweet timbre of Roy's instruments.

Warm regards,

Seán in Tipperary