Sassafras Whistle Rolls

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Sassafras Whistle Rolls

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Are Sassafras Whistle Rolls still available for purchase?

The website looks dated and not up to date. Does anyone know how to reach them?

Here is the website

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... ustom.html
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sassafras Whistle Rolls

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think Annie stopped making them about a decade ago. Do a search, like many things, it has been discussed here several times before.

see here, for example
My brain hurts

Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Okay, many thanks for the information!
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think Annie stopped making them about a decade ago. Do a search, like many things, it has been discussed here several times before.

see here, for example
I just purchased one of these. Hopefully, it'll fit my D whistles! If not I guess I'll return it!

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Williams- ... ts&sr=1-37
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have one of these, or very similar (I got it off ebay, from Poland and cheaper than the one in the link)

But find these things too bulky, I will never need to carry more than one or two whistles and prefer to carry them as inconspicuously as possible. I store most of them in vases or mugs for use around the house. Impulse buying, meh. :devil:
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have one of these, or very similar (I got it off ebay, from Poland and cheaper than the one in the link)

But find these things too bulky, I will never need to carry more than one or two whistles and prefer to carry them as inconspicuously as possible. I store most of them in vases or mugs for use around the house. Impulse buying, meh. :devil:
One left in stock on eBay UK (GBP 50) :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272802847125
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

One left in stock on eBay UK
Yes, that's the link that was in my post. There's one on ebay as well, probably the same. It was €40 when I got it, if memory serves.
My brain hurts

Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Thanks everyone! I'm looking for a roll to store my whistles in safely at my house. I have a 4 whistle Pinegrove Leather roll already to travel with my whistles.

My biggest problem is it is not easy to find sessions around here in East Tennessee. I've never played in a real session but would love to. I just have been learning on my own using my music background and The Online Academy of Irish Music. I also often play gospel/hymn music in church, as Irish jigs, etc may not be best to play there haha
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

A number of people have linked to the £50 Belti 4-whistle roll case. It's well made. Only criticism - "bulkier" than needed for just Bb/C/D/Eb roll-case (pouches too wide. Could have been better if more slim fitting for 4 whistles. But all in all a nice purchase and very useful.

Pinegrove 8-whistle option is top class. But I ended up ordering (offered) a prototype new case they are making which is 4 back row (three wide, 1 narrow) pouches + 7 narrower front pouches. Ideal for Low-A/G/F in back and a 7 whistle selection to front. Will take Low-F (that's an aluminium Burke in photo). This is their new 4+7 protorype. Contents shown include Low A whistle, Low F whistle and F flute in the back-row. I really like this roll case.

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I don't remember where it was posted. Perhaps it was here or at Facebook whistle site, but someone is making rolls in Eastern Europe and selling them through a Esty shop I think. If my memory kicks in I'll post. There was also someone in the states making whistle rolls selling on Etsy. Ojoyous was their seller name. They sell in various colors. They seem lighter than the leather ones which would make sense for home storage.

I found those by doing a search for Whistle Roll Case. If you just do a search for Whistle Roll you get some nice instruction videos...

If you particularly like the Sassafras roll you could probably send one of these persons the link and see if it could be copied.

Von Heune Workshop sells rolls for flutes and recorders. Some of these might be good for whistles. The slots may be a bit wide, but they are lined with synthetic fleece so things don't bang around. They are a bit pricier and may be over kill for home storage. But it is worth a look.
ITM folks have been carrying flutes around in these for years.

I personally dislike rolls with buckles since it just adds a metal piece to possibly dent something somehow. I prefer ties, zippers or velcro.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I just saw something really cool on a recorder site from Germany Kung De Flotenmanfakur. They had a multi slot roll made of light leather and cotton lined. It looked like it would take a number of D whistles. I'm not up on my metric measurements but at 380 mm it looks like it would be a nice home for a selection of Ds and Ebs.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think Annie stopped making them about a decade ago. Do a search, like many things, it has been discussed here several times before.

see here, for example

Searches are great. But open questions often get new answers. :D