Name this technique?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Name this technique?

Post by david_h »

Thanks Peter. For practical purposes 'grace notes' works for me. But (and having just done a bit of googling) I do find reading up about the more formal terms sheds some light on what might be happening.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I think we've been ignoring the elephant in the room. Music does have a name for these ornaments. They're not appoggiaturas or acciaccaturas, both of which, as Peter has pointed out, don't sound like the ornaments we're talking about here. The name music has is a "tap", for a grace note starting from below the "main"* note and a "cut", for a grace note starting from above the "main" note.

* I've put inverted commas around the word "main" because I don't think it's a completely appropriate word here, but I can't think of a better word.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The rhythmic note, maybe a better term(?).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The name music has is a "tap", for a grace note starting from below the "main"* note and a "cut", for a grace note starting from above the "main" note.
To a point Ben. I didn't listen to any of the examples in this discussion (although I did spot Richard linked the Bold Trainor O) but in practice/real life, for example Willie Clancy would use the note below, as an ornament, playing for example {a} G2 {D}E2. However, it would not be a tap. He would, in that example, cut the G, with A, close whistle/flute or chanter very briefly to sound the bell note and then go to the melody note, E. Which is a very common way of doing things , but there would be no tap involved.

This could be an issue of terminology ofcourse but I'd think of a tap as hitting the note below to separate two notes of equal pitch: E{D}E, a quick flick whereas my example above involves landing on the note below, very briefly, before playing the melody note. Different things.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Music does have a name for these ornaments.
But not all is taps (pats, strikes) or cuts any more than it's appoggiaturas, acciaccaturas or even just plain grace notes. In particular I'd suggest that usage of slower tap- or cut-like things probably varies too much to classify them by our standard (rhythmic articulation) understanding of these terms, and some things are best just felt as identifiable, but not necessarily nameable, features of whatever or whoever's style.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
david_h

Post by david_h »

When I said above by "reading up about the more formal terms sheds some light on what might be happening" I was wondering if the cuts and taps are entirely rhythmic. Does the choice of which to do, the timing relative to the beat and the length of the 'extra' note ever have something to do with the way the melody (hence harmony) is moving?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:* I've put inverted commas around the word "main" because I don't think it's a completely appropriate word here, but I can't think of a better word.
fatmac wrote:The rhythmic note, maybe a better term(?).
How about just the note?
david_h wrote:I was wondering if the cuts and taps are entirely rhythmic. Does the choice of which to do, the timing relative to the beat and the length of the 'extra' note ever have something to do with the way the melody (hence harmony) is moving?
While we might argue about whether cuts and taps as we know them have a melodic function, I'd suggest that by the time they're long enough to have a harmonic intention they've become something else.

If you want further terminology for the longer grace note, Conal Ó Gráda's flute tutor talks about 'yelping' cuts and scrapes.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

pancelticpiper wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:New age fluff.
It was standard technique in the 18th century.

Not only in Baroque music: it's long been a Highland pipe ornament too, and it's standard practice in slow air playing on the uilleann pipes.

Here Willie Clancy does it right away (at 0:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHr5cC9e7Hw
Of course. Call me a snob (which I am)
but in my skewed vision of music
any technique used in the practice
of such pedestrian drivel renders it
to the same level.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
david_h

Post by david_h »

Peter Duggan wrote: I'd suggest that by the time they're long enough to have a harmonic intention they've become something else.
Ah, yes, but - the ones in the slow tune in OP are quite long.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:* I've put inverted commas around the word "main" because I don't think it's a completely appropriate word here, but I can't think of a better word.
fatmac wrote:The rhythmic note, maybe a better term(?).
How about just the note?
That doesn't work. Clearly, both the grace note and the ... er ... other, following, note are notes. So you can't just call the "main" note "the note". I don't really like "the rhythmic note" for the same reason.
david_h

Post by david_h »

How about the "melody note" ?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:So you can't just call the "main" note "the note".
See, I think you can talk about a grace note above or below the note. Not sure I do or would, but think you can if you treat 'grace note' as a single entity...
I don't really like "the rhythmic note" for the same reason.
I didn't like that one at all when some may argue it suggests the cut or tap (not for taking up the rhythmic space in the tune but for articulating it rhythmically).
david_h wrote:How about the "melody note" ?
I'd thought of that, but they're also arguably both melody.

Some folk say parent note, but I'm not certain that's any better.

Master of nine?
Maddie
Tell us something.: My musical interests include soprano, alto, tenor & bass recorders, 12-hole alto C ocarina, and high D tin whistle.

Post by Maddie »

Peter Duggan wrote: Some folk say parent note, but I'm not certain that's any better.
Sometimes it's referred to as a principal note. For example, search for "principal" on this page: https://thecelticroom.org/playing-irish ... ation.html
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Just took a look and have to say there's, um, quite a lot wrong with that page.

Master of nine?