"Disirt Tola" - Clare group 1983

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Disirt Tola" - Clare group 1983

Post by kenny »

Set of 3 reels. For a bit of fun, see if you can identify any of the musicians from the photo - no "Googling" !
https://youtu.be/oRjtfhN_jUg
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "Disirt Tola" - Clare group 1983

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can name them but I won't spoil the fun :D A brother and sister from Dublin in there, among the Clare crowd.

What is most disconcerting though, I find myself having quiet coffees in Ennis or Ennistymon and noticing the trendy set of young(-ish) people have taken to wearing exactly the type of jumpers the lads are wearing in that photo. And I feel itchy all over again. Vintage/retro fashion, too often repeating the mistakes of the past.
My brain hurts

john

Post by john »

I can see Ronan Browne, and perhaps Peter Browne. A couple of Shannons and, I think, Martin Hayes. I take it one of the fiddlers is Ronan Browne's sister?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Kenny hasn't returned here yet so I'll stick in a response: Ronan and Tiarna Browne are in there, Gary and Sharon Shannon as well. The rest of them are all Clare people. Martin Hayes or Peter Browne aren't included.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Sorry - just noticed this. Correct with the de Bruns and Shannons. 2 others who have made recordings would be Gearoid O'hAllmhurain on uilleann pipes [ left], and James Cullinane on fiddle.
I'll post some more tracks from this recording in the near future.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

2 others who have made recordings
How about Carol Cullinan (nee Talty), she deserves a mention as one who also recorded. :wink:

See here.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Thanks Mr. G. I wasn't 100% sure about that so didn't include her - recording with P.J. Crotty, I presume.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

recording with P.J. Crotty, I presume
The very one. Classic, as far as I am concerned.

I believe there may be other recordings although I can't think of any off the top of my head. Probably locally issued ones like the Divers night recordings. She deserves a mention though as an active and in demand accompianist.

@ Kilfenora cathedral about a year ago, with Noel O'Donoghue, James Cullinan and Seanie Vaughan

Bernie Whelan, who was also part of the Disirt gathering, is living in Limerick and active, as far as I know. I don't know of recordings though.

older (1999) clip with Mickey Dunne
My brain hurts