Scottish Smallpipe Album Recommendations?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
moonlitnarwhal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm hoping to sell a pair of all-new bellows-blown Scottish Smallpipes. I'm hoping that I came to the right place.

Scottish Smallpipe Album Recommendations?

Post by moonlitnarwhal »

Hello!

I wondered if anyone could recommend Scottish smallpipe artists or albums to check out? I really only have access to YouTube and Spotify, but I've been listening to Brigdhe Chaimbeul's incredible new album ('The Reeling') and some Hamish Moore - any other smallpipe specific albums out there? I love the uilleann and Northumbrian pipes, but would really love to find more Scottish smallpipe music, if possible.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Rich
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Re: Scottish Smallpipe Album Recommendations?

Post by psoutowood »

Check out "The Piper and the Maker" by Fin and Hamish Moore. There are great pieces there with border pipes, smallpipes in A and D, and more. Ian MacInnes "Tryst" is another good one, and "Young Scottish Pipers" has a few great smallpipe tracks.

-Peter
thePhotopiper
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Post by thePhotopiper »

Bit late to the game here, but have you heard of Dan Houghton?
https://danhoughton.bandcamp.com/

He uses both small and border pipes. A good range of influence in his music, some traditional, some of his own more contemporary work. He also played (maybe still does?) with a band called Cantrip that is pretty great. Not exclusively smallpipe though.

He was one of the teachers at the latest Mt. Vernon workshop with Fred Morrison. Great guy. Learned my new favorite strathspey from him (which is the first tune in his All Strathspeys All the Time track).
Brus

Post by Brus »

thePhotopiper wrote:Bit late to the game here, but have you heard of Dan Houghton?
https://danhoughton.bandcamp.com/
I didn't know Dan had done a solo album. I've seen Cantrip live a few times, though I think the last time was 2008.

(edit: sorry, didn't read the OP thoroughly enough. Brìghde Chaimbeul already mentioned ...)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Sappy sucker
Tell us something.: Piper - Highland and Scottish smallpipes - trying to learn whistle, low D whistle and Irish flute. Attend lessons with Scots Music Group, but really need some one-to-one tuition, especially for the flute embouchure.

Post by Sappy sucker »

Another good album by Iain MacInnes is Sealbh, available through the LBPS website among others.

I wondered if anyone could recommend Scottish smallpipe artists or albums to check out? I really only have access to YouTube and Spotify, but I've been listening to Brigdhe Chaimbeul's incredible new album ('The Reeling') and some Hamish Moore - any other smallpipe specific albums out there? I love the uilleann and Northumbrian pipes, but would really love to find more Scottish smallpipe music, if possible.

Thank you all for your suggestion