McCallum getting into uilleann making

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
firnatine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: McCallum getting into uilleann making

Post by firnatine »

It has been a long time since I visited this forum and was surprised to see this thread revived. In case you forgot or weren't following from the beginning I'll give you a little history how this started and where it is today.

Eight years ago I started a small workshop called Pipes and Whistles on Lake Tahoe with Fred Morrison. The workshop was for the border pipes/reel pipes, SSP and the low whistle. That first year Fred also introduced his practice set. McCallum copied from Fred's Dave Williams chanter and planned to eventually produce a full set. That was my very first introduction to the UP. Four of us bought a set that year. Fred and McCallum wanted to make a quality set of pipes at a reasonable price without
a lengthy wait time. Back then I was able to get my practice set in 3 months. At that time Jimmy Carter was making Fred's reeds. He has since switched over to Martin Banda Gallen for his reeds.

At this years workshop almost everyone had a UP and half of the workshop was dedicated to working with it. Six of us had Fred's pipes, 4 full sets, 1 half set (soon to be full) and my practice set. I also have a Michael Hubbert 1/2 set (soon to be 3/4). None of us ever even gave a thought about learning to play the UP until Fred stoked the fire 8 years ago.

He has never advertised nor McCallum, for what reason I do not know but you can now get a practice set, 1/2 set or full set by contacting Fred directly through his website. Be patient he's a difficult guy to get a hold of due to being on the road all the time. Sometimes you need to try a few times before he is able to respond. I believe the turn around time for a full set is less then a year. The bellows are the same that come with his SSP and Reelpipes. You have options on keyed chanter, stop key and I think they are now being made in both ebony and blackwood. He will not let a set go out without personally setting then up. Like McCallum he takes great pride in his pipes.
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

So if there are so many McCallum UP sets in existence it should be relatively easy to get an image off the internet, but I don’t seem to be able to find any?
Would someone post pics/video or a link to where we can see these?
Otherwise I’m slightly disbelieving that they exist.
RenaissanceGuy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

jon1908 wrote:So if there are so many McCallum UP sets in existence it should be relatively easy to get an image off the internet, but I don’t seem to be able to find any?
Would someone post pics/video or a link to where we can see these?
Otherwise I’m slightly disbelieving that they exist.
Well, there's the video of Fred Morrison himself playing the half set from the launch in 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmHxi3i9po
JR

Post by JR »

Heres a pic of a full set. Really looks the business. Very Williams inspired. I've played a prototype chanter and can confirm plays well.

No idea how much they cost.

firnatine

Post by firnatine »

If someone can tell me how to upload a video I will try post a video.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Solid looking set of pipes, I think I may look into them, considering the fast ordering time. I don't have much patience these-days :poke:
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
North Idaho Karl
Tell us something.: I am a highland piper and also play the Scottish Smallpipes. I will soon be starting on an Uilleann practice set.

Post by North Idaho Karl »

I recently emailed Fred for information and received the following reply:

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us. I am pleased to hear that the word is spreading about our new uilleann pipes. I am delighted with the sound and quality of the instrument. I will attach pictures and bleow is a link to a short clip that I made for a customer from California. This is not an official video or anything like that, but it should give you a good idea of the sound and standard that we produce. Please just keep the short video for your own personal use. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5xtdt2x87672 ... t.mp4?dl=0

The prices of the uilleann set are as follows:

Practice set: £1,187.50

Half set: £2,615

Full set to you at £4,675

All prices + shipping

Now is a very good time to order as we will be advertising a lot soon and I know that we will get many orders, so, if you order now, it means a lot shorter waiting time.

I hope this is all helpful. Please get in touch if there are any questions that I can help you with. I think you would love the pipes.

Thanks again,

Fred

Two photos were included, the full set above and a half set

Karl
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

North Idaho Karl wrote:. . .Please just keep the short video for your own personal use. . .

Thanks again,

Fred
:lol:

They sound nice, fwiw.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Indeed, great info!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Piping Bulldog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Piping Bulldog »

Is there anyone out there that currently has a set of these pipes? I am very interested in them. I have some experience with McCallums products and am very impressed with their work, and Fred seems genuinely interested in getting a good set of pipes produced, and available to folks at a pretty good price.
Not to mention that sound clip is very good indeed.
thePhotopiper
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Post by thePhotopiper »

Piping Bulldog wrote:Is there anyone out there that currently has a set of these pipes? I am very interested in them. I have some experience with McCallums products and am very impressed with their work, and Fred seems genuinely interested in getting a good set of pipes produced, and available to folks at a pretty good price.
I have placed an order for a half set myself and am hoping to get within the month or so. Once I have them I'd be happy to post a video and answer questions.
Piping Bulldog

Post by Piping Bulldog »

Id look forward to it, Im looking into a 3/4 set myself
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

Piping Bulldog wrote:Is there anyone out there that currently has a set of these pipes? I am very interested in them. I have some experience with McCallums products and am very impressed with their work, and Fred seems genuinely interested in getting a good set of pipes produced, and available to folks at a pretty good price.
I have one of the very first prototype chanters and personally know a 1/2 dozen people that now own either a 1/2 or full set. I don't know what more can be said about the quality than the video just recently posted. This has been a work in progress by Fred and McCallum for at least 8 years. There was no rush, Fred did not want to put out an inferior product.
Piping Bulldog

Post by Piping Bulldog »

I just saw in a message from Fred that said his website is being updated, and that on this weekend there will be information, pictures, and video clips of the Uilleann Pipes he will be is selling.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Piping Bulldog wrote:I just saw in a message from Fred that said his website is being updated, and that on this weekend there will be information, pictures, and video clips of the Uilleann Pipes he will be is selling.

Awsome! :D

Super excited