It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:40 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:
That's the thing with Wanderer's bag: there seem to be quite a few multiples.

I don't have room for multiples. As big as my roll is there's only room for one of each key for the whistles I might need at a gig.

They're all D whistles. They're all I play in session. I usually only bring one out. But I bring a mix of high-enders in case I run into other whistlers who want to try them out. It's a public service ;)

When I lived in Houston, I played with a band that had singers. Were that still the case, this would be filled with a variety of keys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 am 

A "turning tool roll" would be long enough for a low D Whistle

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lea ... lroll.aspx

or this

https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/to ... -tool-roll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 am 

Arrived just before Christmas. I'd been considering the 8-whistle roll case.. but was offered this new prototype by Pinegrove. Love it. 4 large pouches to rear and 7 regular whistle pouches to front. The back section is showing with Low-F burke which is the biggest possible (assembled). The Ellis F flute is "just fits" length. All surprisingly compact when rolled up. Nice shoulder strap for carrying.

The large pouches #3 will take a D-flute pratten sized body and the head/barrel fit the (slightly wider) #5/#6 pouches take my hamilton head joint/barrel and foot joint. However I've decided against transporting the D flute in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:20 am 

Wanderer wrote:

They're all D whistles...I bring a mix of high-enders in case I run into other whistlers who want to try them out. It's a public service ;)

Ah, I see! What a cool thing, sort of a travelling D whistle exhibition. My setup does have the problem of having nothing to loan, unless I loan my high D and play my Low D.

Years ago I had just come off stage (playing flute and whistle with a Celtic band) and a guy came up and started chatting whistles.

He said he had around 200 high D whistles. He started rattling off names: every maker I'd ever heard of and plenty I hadn't.

He didn't have a single whistle with him. Was he a player? Or a non-playing collector? I'll never know.

I'll wager one thing: that if I played all 200 of his D whistles there wouldn't be any that I would trade for my 1980 Feadog.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm 

Back to the roll question, I'm just going to make one. None that I've seen have a long enough flap, stand up by themselves on stage, and have all the right slots. I'm picky, yes.

I do use a chef's knife roll (trifold) sometimes, and I have a huge flannel roll custom made for a class set of 30 Generation D's (when those are squawking away you bet I haul out a Susato to compete!).

I'm also thinking of making mine with hard inserts and clips so it will sit nicely on the base of a tripod mic stand. I've stopped playing at places where I can hang stuff from the chicken-wire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm 

The original intent of mine was to be able to hang it from a music stand (floor space being at a premium at many gigs).

However I never installed the straps.

Goldie Low D whistle