Abell Warm up Period

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Abell Warm up Period

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

I have a question. It seems to me that the Abell blackwood D takes time to warm up and really start to play well and louder. Is it just me or is there some warm up time involved with the whistle itself? Also, I don't feel like I can put a lot of push of air into the lower register before it starts to jump to the higher register, unlike my Burke Narrow Brass D.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Abell Warm up Period

Post by chas »

It definitely takes time for an Abell to warm up. The silver in the mouthpiece is a little thicker than many whistles with mouthpiece rings, plus it's silver. It has more mass, so it takes more energy to heat it up.

I'd suggest holding it in your armpit or wrapping your hands around the head for a few minutes before playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

chas wrote:It definitely takes time for an Abell to warm up. The silver in the mouthpiece is a little thicker than many whistles with mouthpiece rings, plus it's silver. It has more mass, so it takes more energy to heat it up.

I'd suggest holding it in your armpit or wrapping your hands around the head for a few minutes before playing.
Thanks! I'll try that!
joeryan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by joeryan »

I use a heating pad.

Like this:https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Electric ... NrPXRydWU=

It works wonders.
Matthewlawson3