Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 is listed now on Ebay. Bidding ends the 6th of January. Looks to be in fine condition, original box with lid unattached. there doesn't seem to be any cracks in the head joint or barrel. nickel silver keys, salt spoon Eb, strange metal extra ferrule, or plug, on the end of the foot joint, missing ring at slide on head joint. These are extremely good flutes, I have R,C&Co. 7103 which plays very well at A=440.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rudall-Carte ... SwHnpeBUq5
Fildafluter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Re: Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 on E-bay

Post by Fildafluter »

Steampacket wrote:Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 is listed now on Ebay. Bidding ends the 6th of January. Looks to be in fine condition, original box with lid unattached. there doesn't seem to be any cracks in the head joint or barrel. nickel silver keys, salt spoon Eb, strange metal extra ferrule, or plug, on the end of the foot joint, missing ring at slide on head joint. These are extremely good flutes, I have R,C&Co. 7103 which plays very well at A=440.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rudall-Carte ... SwHnpeBUq5
This sale will show how hot, or cold, the market for vintage flutes is, when we have such an enormous flood of offerings from all over the globe on Ebay. And how foolishly ignorant the public is about such tier one personal-use devices. But on Ebay I see African black-wood Irish D flutes from very low to way up there in the thousands. To the end user that does not indicate value but flipper activity. IOW intrinsic value is not quite what some bidders may realize, yet in a few years time will surely rue.

So what is this one all about?

Its an antique flute with signs of deterioration/ shrinkage, it is wooden - full of bugs no doubt, and no history of use/playing. For all we know, it may have belonged to a now deceased hospital waste disposal worker who suffered from herpes/TB/pnuemonia and died from syphilis.

Firewood in my world.

Caveat emptor!
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well played, FildaFluter! Drive the bidding down! :lol:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Its an antique flute with signs of deterioration/ shrinkage, it is wooden - full of bugs no doubt, and no history of use/playing. For all we know, it may have belonged to a now deceased hospital waste disposal worker who suffered from herpes/TB/pnuemonia and died from syphilis. Firewood in my world." fildafluter.
This Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 is a top quality cocuswood simple system flute. Missing a ring but otherwise complete. A repad and a new cork and it will be ready to go. Take no notice of fildafluter's disinformation. He lives in Trumpworld.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steampacket wrote:He lives in Trumpworld.
We all do, until further notice. Let's cut the politics.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Not to stoke Fildafluter's fires, but this is a later flute.

Does that mean you should expect it was made for a higher tuning?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Actually, tstermitz, this is slighter ´older´ than the flute that Thomas, Steampacket, has. The serial is close to #7103, considering the volume of sales for these flutes. I have two flutes with similar caps on their foot joints, both playing well at A=440 hz, altho´ not made by Rudall, Carte. This style of foot cap seems to have had some popularity. Fildafluter, you might pay a visit to http://steampacket.ownit.nu/Rudall%20Ro ... ister.html before you make any more ill-informed judgements about these flutes. A slightly newer flute, #7049, was purchased by Hammy Hamilton for $5,100 in 2007.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

We all do
No we don't, thank you very much.
My brain hurts

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Peace through music. Happy New Year, everyone!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I don't know about this particular flute, but I have a large holed Rudall Carte flute cocus purchased from Ebay years ago with no threading and a crack in the back of the headjoint. The seller didn't know how to put it together and had stuck parts here and there rather creatively. But I knew they were all there. Interestingly enough there was no serial number on this flute. A trip to Terry McGee fitted the corks, which could have been threaded, but I wasn't as aware of the controversy of that decision at the time HaHa, The original pads have proved perfect and remain so. Terry Mcgee pronounced the head joint sound despite the crack and the flute genuine despite the lack of serial number. After a decade in my care I sent it off to Jon Cornia to get that crack done. He also tweaked the tuning by filling some of the holes a bit with wax. (something that helps me switch from modern flutes to this antique, not necessary if it were my only flute).

It never occurred to me to think about germs. I might have missed out on a very nice instrument if I had.

Mine plays perfectly at a=440.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

One day and 14 hours to go and the bidding is at £1140. It will probably sell for £2000 or more
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

Just a heads up the seller said there is a crack in the barrel and has photos if you ask for them.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I thought it would go for £2000 or more, but Rudall, Carte & Co. 7022 sold for £1900. Anyone here on C&F?