Dayton Miller's Collecting Notebooks

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dayton Miller's Collecting Notebooks

Post by Casey Burns »

Years ago I was given a rather special roll of Microfilm produced in 1951 by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Services office. It contains imagers of the entire collection of Dayton C. Miller's acquisition notebooks, cataloguing and describing each instrument in the collection. I am wondering if anyone else out in the flute universe has one of these. I suspect they are extremely rare.

I finally looked at the contents using a microfilm reader this last weekend. The data are in excellent shape. Today I am mailing my copy off to the Library. They will be using it to digitize this document for eventual inclusion into their website in 2020.

Cheers!
Casey
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Dayton Miller's Collecting Notebooks

Post by Terry McGee »

Casey shared an excerpt from the microfilm with me. Miller's notes in his own hand. Almost spooky.

It reminds me that when I spent a week at the Library of Congress back in 2002, I came across a copy of the Rudall Carte 1922 catalogue, showing great images of the workshop at 23 Berners St, eg:

(More at: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/RC_Wshop1922.htm)

I scanned that from a photocopy I made at the time. Arising from my find, Robert Bigio later included far better scans in his book on Rudall Carte (which is probably why I get a mention in the acknowledgements!). It, and Casey's find shows what a tenuous link we have with our past - so much is fortuitous.

The moral of the story? There is still much for us to find, and we need to share anything we find with our colleagues. Hopefully, Casey's find will bring out some information we are not yet aware of.
RudallRose

Re: Dayton Miller's Collecting Notebooks

Post by RudallRose »

Casey
years ago when I visited the collection I had access (and now copies) of many of Miller's personal correspondence with a Denver man with whom he acquired a fair number of instruments worldwide. Fascinating reading on how Miller wheeled/dealed for flutes.
The man, Francois Mignolet, was an amateur flautist of the 1920s, fairly popular and a world traveler, having even acquired some of Miller's nose flutes from the tropics of the likes of New Guinea and Tahiti.
Anyways....there is much to learn in Miller's writing, a scientist of world renown who kept meticulous notes.
Great stuff!

dm