Your fav'd Low C whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
arthury
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a newbie to Irish Whistles and I own several of them, including Recorders. I'm joining the community to learn from you all.

Your fav'd Low C whistle

Post by arthury »

Which Overton-style low C whistle is your favorite?
And, why?
Mk Pro low D | Goldie low D | Chieftain high D & alto A | Burke high {D, E} alto {B, G, F} | Freeman C | Dixon Pro high D
arthury
Tell us something.: I'm a newbie to Irish Whistles and I own several of them, including Recorders. I'm joining the community to learn from you all.

Re: Your fav'd Low C whistle

Post by arthury »

https://youtu.be/b6fsugicNVE

Of the three, the Overton is most airy sounding and Kerry is next and Mk is most muffled.
Any idea why?
I thought all three are using aluminum alloy?
Mk Pro low D | Goldie low D | Chieftain high D & alto A | Burke high {D, E} alto {B, G, F} | Freeman C | Dixon Pro high D
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

It only shows (once more) that the material is the least important factor for the sound of a wind instrument - fipple/windway design, ratio length-diameter and size and position of the fingerholes have much more influence on the sound of the instrument.
arthury

Post by arthury »

Yes, I agree with you.

The differences in the fipple design is quite interesting ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y5E0R3lEk
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

arthury wrote:
the Overton is most airy sounding and Mk is most muffled.
Goes to show how tone is difficult to put into words.

I'm a Low Whistle person, and at times I've had Low Ds from a half-dozen different makers, including Overton and MK.

I wouldn't describe their tone the way you have.

The various MK Low Ds I've owned have had a unique tone, which I describe as dirty/gravelly and Kaval-like. Certainly not muffled- though dirty the tone has a strong core.

Bernard Overton is credited with inventing the Low Whistle, and the Overton tone is a convenient benchmark to compare other makes of Low Whistles to. It's been described as a Cosmic Drainpipe.

About Low Cs, I had a Susato Low C with an angled neck that was a fantastic player, the nicest-playing Susato I've owned.

Currently I'm playing a Colin Goldie Low C that's superb. The tone is middle of the road, but the playability is great.

I had a great Ronaldo Reyburn Low C, metal body with wood head. Reyburns have a wonderful unique NAF-like sound. (The 2nd octave was a bit stiff for me.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have played a Chieftain OS low C for ten years, and it sounds great.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MichaelLoos wrote:It only shows (once more) that the material is the least important factor for the sound of a wind instrument - fipple/windway design, ratio length-diameter and size and position of the fingerholes have much more influence on the sound of the instrument.
Correct. Then comes breath control.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

MichaelLoos wrote:It only shows (once more) that the material is the least important factor for the sound of a wind instrument - fipple/windway design, ratio length-diameter and size and position of the fingerholes have much more influence on the sound of the instrument.
Yes indeedy.

I've played so many metal Low Whistles with wonderful complex "woody" tone, and so many wood Low Whistles with thin "tinny" tone.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

arthury wrote: Overton-style
Well there's the rub.

There are still plenty of Bernard Overton whistles knocking about. I've owned several over the years.

Then Bernard allowed Colin Goldie and Phil Hardy to make whistles under the "Overton" name.

Since I had played a good number of Overtons (but few Hardys and no Goldies) I mistakenly thought they were all similar instruments.

My eyes were opened when I got a chance to play and own some Goldies.

My take on it is that Goldie made a commitment to refine the Overton design and produce top-notch one-man-workshop bespoke professional instruments. You can order a variety of different voicings (windway heights) that have differing performance characteristics.

Hardy went in the direction of factory production (the use of the word "factory" is his).

Of the three makers, the Goldies I've tried and owned have been superior to Overtons and Hardys.

The caveat being that since Overtons and Hardys (and all whistles) vary, I'm sure there are outstanding Overtons and Hardys out there.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
arthury

Post by arthury »

Thank you, again, Richard, for the good recommendations and unselfish sharing of your experiences.
They are always a pleasure to read and ponder over.