Is this song a cover of a different song? (The Joystrings)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Desperado
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I care about Irish/Celtic Folk and Folk Rock / Prog Rock. I hope to finde people here that give me more insight into these topics.

Is this song a cover of a different song? (The Joystrings)

Post by Desperado »

Greetings,

can someone tell me if this song by The Joystrings (There Will Be God) is a cover of a different (folk) song, especially the section at the timestamp? Several songs on the album seem to be cover versions ( Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem for example seems to be a cover of House Of The Rising Sun):

https://youtu.be/IJRgjiZ6D1k?t=68

Thank you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Is this song a cover of a different song? (The Joystring

Post by Nanohedron »

Desperado wrote:Greetings,

can someone tell me if this song by The Joystrings (There Will Be God) is a cover of a different (folk) song, especially the section at the timestamp? Several songs on the album seem to be cover versions ( Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem for example seems to be a cover of House Of The Rising Sun):

Thank you!
On the first one, for me the only familiar-sounding thing begins around 1:31, a passing progression that reminds me a lot of part of the song "My Way", but it quickly moves on to other territory. Otherwise no cover that I can detect, but then I haven't heard everything, either.

I had to do a search for The Joystrings' version of O Little Town Of Bethlehem, and it is definitely a cover of House Of The Rising Sun.

Your topic has a hard time fitting into an ITM forum, BTW. The Pub would have been a better choice, so I'll move it for you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Desperado
Tell us something.: I care about Irish/Celtic Folk and Folk Rock / Prog Rock. I hope to finde people here that give me more insight into these topics.

Post by Desperado »

Nanohedron wrote:
Desperado wrote:Greetings,

Thank you!
On the first one, for me the only familiar-sounding thing begins around 1:31, a passing progression that reminds me a lot of part of the song "My Way", but it quickly moves on to other territory. Otherwise no cover that I can detect, but then I haven't heard everything, either.

I had to do a search for The Joystrings' version of O Little Town Of Bethlehem, and it is definitely a cover of House Of The Rising Sun.

Your topic has a hard time fitting into an ITM forum, BTW. The Pub would have been a better choice, so I'll move it for you.
Which "My Way"? The Sinatra song?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Desperado wrote:Which "My Way"? The Sinatra song?
Yep. Didn't know there was another song by that name.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Nanohedron wrote:
Desperado wrote:Which "My Way"? The Sinatra song?
Yep. Didn't know there was another song by that name.
The sequence is similar to what I want and probably from the same decade, but it is rather sentimental while what I want is rather upbeat.
TrevorO'Malley
Tell us something.: I'm a big fan of the flute, first of all, and I like to indulge in folk music as often as I can. I'd like to connect with others who have the same interests here.

Post by TrevorO'Malley »

I can't say that I'm much of an expert, but it doesn't remind me of any other song, honestly. At least not in an obvious way.