Manufacturers that make all metal one piece high whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dreday
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Manufacturers that make all metal one piece high whistles

Post by Dreday »

Hello I’m curious to know all the manufacturers that make all metal whistles including the plug. The chieftain thunderbird high D is not being made anymore. Are there any other manufacturers that produce a high d whistle that’s non tunable and made out of all metal of brass or aluminum?
vigaglum
Tell us something.: I am interested in pennywhistle and low whistles and play both. Folk music, mostly. I also have a passing interest in other traditional music.

Re: Manufacturers that make all metal one piece high whistle

Post by vigaglum »

Mack Hoover does. Impempe used to.
Dreday
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Post by Dreday »

It appears that the Hoover website is no longer available..
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

There are some that are all metal except for the fipple plug (like Alba), and variations close to that (Burke, Anak, many more).
1) the Skellig low whistle is all aluminum (but is tunable). Ask Nick for a non-tunable High D Skellig, or an improv model high D. He's a creative genius. Website > https://www.theirishwhistle.com/models
2) can't find one since the Chieftain high D Thunderbird was stopped > search online for used ones, and email Phil Hardy at Kerry Whistles to tell him you'll buy one if he's got an old one somewhere, even if it's scratched and the dog plays with it. https://kerrywhistles.com/
3) Carbony is an option you might consider if you're trying to get away from the tone from brass, plastic and delrin.
4) I went to the website of Goldie but none of the photos show the fipple plug. All aluminum otherwise, including mouthpiece.

This makes me wonder if the tone of a whistle could be altered to any considerable degree by covering a plastic fipple plug within the tube area, with a sheet of aluminum foil. Or some such process. If it's far more convenient to use plastic as a fipple plug material, then if the sound is made too different, remetalize the surface of the fipple plug after it's installed. Always a workaround.
Dreday

Post by Dreday »

I actually have Alex DeWilde from Hermit Hill whistles making me a high E Whistle.. all brass with a brass plug and mouth piece with Celtic engraving! His plugs are usually Derlin and mouthpiece is usually derlin, but I asked him to make the mouthpiece and the plug in brass and he’s only charging me $10 more for the brass plug! it’s a two piece but his design allows to use different keys. So after I get the E, I’m going order probably a D & C bottom part that can be used with my head piece.
Dreday

Post by Dreday »

I actually have 2 Kerry High D one piece whistles already. One I keep with me at all times, and the other I keep stored in mint condition. I also have his C, Bb (tunable), A, G, F, and 3 low D’s. (Thunderbird, V5, and Custom) all one pieces except for the Bb and the Custom.
vigaglum
Tell us something.: I am interested in pennywhistle and low whistles and play both. Folk music, mostly. I also have a passing interest in other traditional music.

Post by vigaglum »

Dreday wrote:It appears that the Hoover website is no longer available..
Hmm. It was up couple of days ago. In any case, the website doesn't do much except list some products and give his e-mail address, which you contact for enquiries or purchases, and is hoover(dot)mc(at)gmail(dot)com

I think Shearwater do an all-metal soprano in a few keys, but I don't know if the fipple plug is metal.
Dreday

Post by Dreday »

I emailed Mack Hoover and responded telling me he is still making whistles! He told me his website disappeared.. so if anyone is interested in his whistles, I would shoot him an email.
Dreday

Post by Dreday »

Mack Hoover is making me a brass high D whistle!! I’m excited to get it and he said I should have it before Christmas!

I’m intrigued to hear the difference in tone and playability then my Kerry.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I guess it's fair to weigh in here. Yes I still make whistles one at a time to accommodate individual preferences which we discuss via email.

My website disappeared because it was connected with the PWA message board which has expired (hopefully to be reopened soon).

I have a new website in the works which will be published at a different address. Meanwhile if you are interested in a Hoover (Mack) whistle send me a PM.

Mack
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Setanta offers an all-metal soprano D whistle.
http://www.setanta-whistles.com/store/p ... igh_D.html