Hammy Sound

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gcobean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Hammy Sound

Post by Gcobean »

Hi all - I really like the Hammy Hamilton sound. Now that he is on a haitius from new orders, my only chance of getting one is waiting for a used one to post, which is somewhat rare. So that being said, generally speaking, what makers out there make something comparable in tone? And yes I get it, no two flutes are the same let alone by different makers :) Am I just looking at about anything Pratten?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Hammy Sound

Post by kkrell »

This won't be any help. I have a Seth Gallagher keyless, plays & sounds just like the Hammy. However, to my knowledge, he is not building at this time, either flutes or pipes. Last update on his website is 2015 (price list 2014).
http://www.uilleann.com/

Edited to add: I also have a Hammy 6-key, a Hammy practice flute and recently sold a Hammy keyless. The Hammy practice flute, BTW, does sound and play like a Hammy , although the cylindrical profile of the body makes it far less comfortable.
Last edited by kkrell on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Olwell Pratten doesn't sound so much like a Hammy, but it is a great flute. Having owned both, let me express my opinion that the Olwell is easier to handle. Eamon Cotter's prattens are good too, IMO.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

A student of mine has one which he might be willing to sell. What part of the world are you in ? We are in Scotland.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There is also one on eBay (located in the US) advertised as "brand new".

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Steve, perhaps it is a photographic artifact, but that ´Hammy´ looks awfully red to be ´Blackwood´.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I only report what's published. Didn't analyze the wood. Caveat emptor. (That's Spanish for "Keep a grip on your wallet".) :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I have owned brand new blackwood flutes that are reddish brown like that. Those particular flutes turned black as they age and get exposed to sunlight to the point that you can't even see the grain any more. It is the light that turns them darker just like boxwood turns darker for the same reason.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Definitely doesn’t look like Blackwood in the photos. Looks more like Mopane to me than anything else, but there are a few other woods that shade.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I’m able to add a little to this discussion. There is a local player here, St. John’s, NL....she is a fantastic flute player, is great friends with Hammy and she apprenticed with him. She plays her own flute, which is pretty much a Hamilton style...she makes hers sound incredible. She is an unknown, as yet, maker but I guarantee her flutes are awesome. She charges I,000 CND. And I think she has one for sale. She has one currently on display to the University library and will be for sale as well I suspect. One would not be disappointed with one of Michelle’s flutes....I’ve played a Hamilton and owned a nice John Gallagher pratten and now have a much unplayed Copley...her flutes are on par!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The thread title keeps me imagining this:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

The Ebay flute link is just bad color balance. Throw the image into Photoshop (or whatever you use), and pull the Cyan slider to kill the red cast. Then the flute looks black, the rings look neutral, and the case lining still looks red.
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Nanohedron wrote:The thread title keeps me imagining this:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :wink:
Your pic link is broken. Really wanting to see what I have inspired here :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gcobean wrote:Your pic link is broken. Really wanting to see what I have inspired here :)
Oh, dear. Sorry about that; it works for me, and I don't know how to fix it for you.

It's a pic of ham slices sizzling in a frying pan. :oops:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Gcobean

Post by Gcobean »

Nanohedron wrote:
Gcobean wrote:Your pic link is broken. Really wanting to see what I have inspired here :)
Oh, dear. Sorry about that; it works for me, and I don't know how to fix it for you.

It's a pic of ham slices sizzling in a frying pan. :oops:
Mmmm yeah - that's the sound I'm looking for.