Mudcat down?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Mudcat down?

Post by Nanohedron »

Went to Mudcat.org today for lyrics - on two separate occasions - and both times got this:
Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
Anyone know anything about it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Re: Mudcat down?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It goes up and down again. It was functional for a while yesterday but there were long and more than usual outages for most of the week, and again now. I believe they are doing maintenance work. Often it will go back up after downtime, some time in the afternoon (my local time, possibly morning on your left coast, where the servers are located).
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It goes up and down again.
All right, thanks. I don't hit Mudcat all that often - not being a singer, my reasons are usually limited to a momentary academic curiosity inspired by the sidetracks that tune history searches can put you on - but the site's always been operational when I've gone there, so I was taken aback by this development.

I'll take a breath now. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
All right, thanks. I don't hit Mudcat all that often - not being a singer, my reasons are usually limited to a momentary academic curiosity inspired by the sidetracks that tune history searches can put you on - but the site's always been operational when I've gone there, so I was taken aback by this development.

I hardly ever visit it. I'm a (nearly) non-singer, and, um ... I just don't like it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

I hardly ever visit it. I'm a (nearly) non-singer, and, um ... I just don't like it.
Well, it's sure not easy on the eyes, if that's what you mean. And being a seldom visitor myself, I still haven't figured out how best to use it. Nevertheless, one puts one's ears back and forges ahead into the weather to catch what blows one's way. Mudcat's not what I would consider necessarily authoritative, but they have a fair degree of range when it comes to material, so they can at least be counted on to possibly have what I'm looking for to compare and contrast. I'd say I've been equally as disappointed as satisfied when I do go there, but to be fair, we Traddies sometimes have some pretty tall orders to fill. In Mudcat's defense, I have more than once been pleasantly surprised to find some pretty obscure stuff, even if it's with warts and blemishes. They'll even have lyrics in Irish and Scots Gaelic (no doubt other languages, too). But it must be acknowledged that even when the search proves fruitful, I always leave feeling a bit disoriented.