spotify

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

spotify

Post by rorybbellows »

I came across John McSherry's Uilleann pipe music playlist on spotify which I'm really enjoying. A good mixture of new and old. Do you know of any other pipeing playlists worth a listen?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MarkP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: spotify

Post by MarkP »

Hi, also this for your listening pleasure, 500+ tracks (but a bit more trad)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2f9Au ... GtgWryehYo
Mark
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've seen more than a few musicians criticize spotify and other streaming services for the meagre royalties.

I'm not saying don't stream, but buying an album (digital download or CD) is a better way to support our favourite musicians.
PJ
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Indeed, and Spotify is quite a good way to discover artists whose CDs you might want to buy ;-)
Mark
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Indeed, and it's also a good way to listen to pipers who are not your favorite.

Jeez, there's always one isn't there.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

rorybbellows wrote:Indeed, and it's also a good way to listen to pipers who are not your favorite.

Jeez, there's always one isn't there.

RORY
I'll just say here that Johnny Doran is hard for me to listen to. I bought the 2-CD set that came out a few years ago, and I've played it a lot but I just don't enjoy it. I admire that he can play that fast, but I just don't feel the beauty in his music that I get from other musicians. There are other Traveller-style pipers that I do like to listen to (Paddy Keenan, Blackie O'Connell), but Johnny Doran is not one of them. I suppose it is still valuable to listen to pipers that are not your favourite though; could still learn something.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

An Draighean wrote:
I bought the 2-CD set that came out a few years ago,
Wait, am I missing something? I bought that cd a few years ago too, but mines just a single. There's only the nine or so tracks he recorded... Why would a second cd be needed?

I agree though. I'm always impressed when I put his music on, but I can't listen to it too much at a time. Kinda best in small doses.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

chaos97 wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
Wait, am I missing something? I bought that cd a few years ago too, but mines just a single. There's only the nine or so tracks he recorded... Why would a second cd be needed?

I agree though. I'm always impressed when I put his music on, but I can't listen to it too much at a time. Kinda best in small doses.
You must be right - it's been a while, and I don't have the CD handy after loading it on my hard drive - but I only show ten tracks in itunes so it must have been a single CD. :oops:
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

There are also several Pipers' Gathering volumes to enjoy, https://open.spotify.com/search/pipers% ... ing/albums.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

An Draighean wrote:
chaos97 wrote:
An Draighean wrote:

You must be right - it's been a while, and I don't have the CD handy after loading it on my hard drive - but I only show ten tracks in itunes so it must have been a single CD. :oops:
I recently bought the Johnny Doran CD from Claddagh Records in Dublin (great city, definitely want to visit again), but I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Just confirming that it is one disc.