A song I wrote. If you care to listen

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caspermilktoast
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A song I wrote. If you care to listen

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Hi all,

I wrote and recorded a song and I would like to share it with you all. My first love is traditional Irish music, but this is a country song. I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/6k6v1Y-PU7w
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: A song I wrote. If you care to listen

Post by benhall.1 »

Very nice that. :thumbsup: :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good job!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I've actually still got the chorus line going through my head. I used to be someone who "[ate] my lunch with dirty hands". Not so now, but I have to say, they were the best bunch of people ever worked with, and I've never achieved the same level of comradeship at work since.
Caspermilktoast

Hey thanks a lot for the kind comments!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I used to be someone who "[ate] my lunch with dirty hands".
Same here. The image is intimate, and as real as it gets. In a song about living the worker's life, a line like that like that is a great keystone, and hard to beat.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
awildman

Post by awildman »

I like it, especially since it's more of the late 90s/early 00s style instead of the uber modern junk.

Also, I have it on good authority that country music is quite traditional in many places in Ireland, meaning you're not going too far astray here.
Caspermilktoast

First ive been in construction for 24 years. So this song light hearted but true at the same time.

Yes Wildman I agree. Country has its origins in Scott/ Irish . Some of the most beautiful lyrics to me come from the old song "Three Score and Ten" -" they go to earn their daily bread upon the restless waves" hints of that song are in mine...One of the oldest forms of music is singing about real everyday life and experience...

My brother thought I was nuts when I told him there is a connection between a slow air on the uilleann pipes and guitar blues. I watched a show recently on early blues and of all people they used Seamus Ennis singing an air and compared it to slow blues and how if is a part of its origin...

Sorry to rant but I love music and how different genres are connected.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Caspermilktoast wrote:Sorry to rant ...
Ha. If that is a rant, then apart from songwriting, you must be a man of few words.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I loved the song and am sharing it. I didn't see the name of your country band. Your Soundcloud channel has beautiful holiday music on flute & whistle. Wow!

Where do you play traditional Irish music locally? and country? Do you ever play The Playwright in Hamden, CT?
Caspermilktoast

Hey thanks ytliek

I really only play music around my house. last year I played those Christmas tunes at a fundraiser but that's it. Music has been a hobby but ive been wanting to record nd share some of my stuff lately. Your comments are encouraging!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I just had to play that again to Deb. She likes it too. She's also someone not afraid to get her hands dirty. She's just popping back out into the garden now to continue work on bringing the logs in for winter. :)

Oh, by the way, we both really like your voice. Deb said, "Oh, it's a lovely voice!". So there. :thumbsup: