Going back to Feile Strokestown - what tunes to learn?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Going back to Feile Strokestown - what tunes to learn?

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I love the music of North Connaught, and many of my favorite musicians converge on Strokestown for the music festival in October. Playing tunes with my "flute heroes" like the Carlos family, Patsy Hanly, and Tommy Guihan was one of the most fulfilling musical experiences I've ever had.

However, my already-eccentric repertoire became even more handicapping when it came to playing in the sessions later in the weekend. I know that they're not necessarily playing North Connaught tunes, but I'd like to learn some more, if there are particular ones associated with that region, and other good tunes to have in one's back pocket for a Roscommon session.

Anyway, just curious if folks familiar with that region would share some tunes they like!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Going back to Feile Strokestown - what tunes to learn?

Post by kenny »

https://thesession.org/recordings/5716

Tommy Guihen's CD should be a good guide - a great collection of flute music.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

kenny wrote:https://thesession.org/recordings/5716

Tommy Guihen's CD should be a good guide - a great collection of flute music.
A brilliant CD! I have that one as well as Dylan Carlos's new album. Thanks!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This sort of thing is really a long game. You have to start somewhere and the recordings are good for that but to really 'get into' the repertoire and style you'll have to listen to anything you can get your hands on by these players and the people around them, what they play in different contexts and immerse yourself. Spend time in their company when you have the opportunity.

Patsy Hanly, last Saturdaynight
My brain hurts

MadmanWithaWhistle

Mr.Gumby wrote:This sort of thing is really a long game. You have to start somewhere and the recordings are good for that but to really 'get into' the repertoire and style you'll have to listen to anything you can get your hands on by these players and the people around them, what they play in different contexts and immerse yourself. Spend time in their company when you have the opportunity.

True, but given my finances and time off availability, that opportunity comes for about five days once a year, so recordings will have to help take up the slack. But hell, given the way this country's going, I plan to GTFO as soon as I finish my album and launch my handmade whistles. Maybe I'll live closer to Ireland in the future...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

How did Strokestown work out for you?

I wa talking to a friend last night who had been and spent a night in the company of Liam O'Brien, Patsy Hanly and Orflaith McAuliffe. She said it was quite nice. :D
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Liam O'Brien, Patsy Hanly and Orflaith McAuliffe" - that would do me :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"