Hi, there--

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MayaTambien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pretty sure I've been a member before, but it's been a loooonnng time. Dabble at whistle and Irish-style flute, among other instruments.

Hi, there--

Post by MayaTambien »

Hello, all....

I've been a reader of C&F for... a long time. I think I was a member at some point in the dim & distant past, but lost all login credentials in the void. I was motivated to a new registration by the desire to respond to a couple of For Sale postings.

But it turns out that I'm not yet allowed to send PMs.... Oh, well, I know that there are reasons for rules, but sometimes they're situationally annoying.

Hence, this post, as the start of "participating". So that it isn't just whining, I'll give a wee bit of self-introduction.

I play a number of instruments--none of them very well, because I cycle between them and get really rusty on the fallow ones. I'm coming into a flute/whistle cycle now....

I'm old enough that I should know better, not quite old enough to not care.

I live in the upper left corner of the USA (Oregon). I earn my bread & butter driving a school bus. That IS my first name as part of the username, but the last is different (for some smidgen of privacy).

Thanks for listening!
--Maya
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Hi, there--

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, Maya, and welcome.
MayaTambien wrote:But it turns out that I'm not yet allowed to send PMs.... Oh, well, I know that there are reasons for rules, but sometimes they're situationally annoying.
Only two more posts to go... :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Welcome back. I think I did the same lose my username and or password thing some time ago on this group or another. Feel free to post with abandon to get those last 2 posts in. The group will understand. Don't worry that you have to think real hard to have completely relevant posts right off the bat. We are an understanding bunch... Or are we. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:Feel free to post with abandon to get those last 2 posts in. The group will understand. Don't worry that you have to think real hard to have completely relevant posts right off the bat.
Well, that's true enough for the Pub, as we see time and time again. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MayaTambien
Tell us something.: Pretty sure I've been a member before, but it's been a loooonnng time. Dabble at whistle and Irish-style flute, among other instruments.

Post by MayaTambien »

Thanks, all!

Do Replies count...?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

But of course. :)
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I'm in a similar situation. I've spent considerable money on high end whistles but do little more than putter. I have a shelf full of ocarinas which just sit. And all those tune books and tutorials! Motivation is difficult, well near extinct really. But I do get some short lived enthusiasm when I do practice, there is potential there. It hard to get going and keep going once I do.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Welcome. :)

I came late to playing music, although I had tried a few times before, but it was when I retired that I decided that I was going to learn to play an instrument.

Ukuleles got me started, but I prefer wind instruments, so I now play my harmonicas, & keyless flutes/piccolos, not very well, but improving, albeit slowly, whilst still attempting to learn to read music.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

There is a small booklet, "How To Read Music" by Roger Evans which may be helpful.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.