FS: Full set in the style of the Taylor Bros. circa 1900

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Will Woodson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

FS: Full set in the style of the Taylor Bros. circa 1900

Post by Will Woodson »

For sale: a concert pitch set in the style of the Taylor Brothers made around 1900 by an unknown Irish-American pipe maker. Chanter, regulators, and bass drone are original to the set. The baritone drone was replaced at some point in the set’s history, and the tenor drone, main stock, and chanter wind cap are modern replacements by Nick Whitmer. The set is made of ebony, excepting the bass drone bottom section, which seems to be made of cocus wood or a similar rosewood. Mounts are a mix of the original ivory and some modern boxwood replacements. The metalwork is nickel silver, with the exception of the unusual regulator mounts, which are an aluminum alloy. The chanter has two keys, C natural and high D.

All in all, the set is lovely to play, with the characteristics you’d expect of a set of its era and lineage: a bright, responsive chanter, purring drones, and bold regulators. It plays very happily at A 440. It’s seen its fair share of use and has undergone several repairs, but these have been well done and the set is stable and ready for daily playing.

I’m asking $10,000, but am open to sensible offers. There’s also a Nick Whitmer chanter associated with the set, which isn’t currently set up but could be included in the sale. There's no bellows currently associated with the set, but I could include a new set of Kelleher bellows if there's need. I’ll have the set with me at the Northeast Tionól, for those attending and interested.

Reason for sale: I'm selling the set for a friend. If I could afford it myself, I'd buy it!

A video of the set in action can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUgANS2 ... e=youtu.be

PM me for more info, as well as photos and sound clips.
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Re: FS: Full set in the style of the Taylor Bros. circa 1900

Post by buskerSean »

Sound great, esp for an antique! Must have been very well made in the first place.
Will Woodson

Post by Will Woodson »

The set is still available, and I've dropped the price to $9500
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Please check PMs.
Will Woodson

Post by Will Woodson »

Price reduced to $9000.
The Phonograph Project, a close study of Irish music from the 1920s and 30s: http://patreon.com/phonographproject

My album with Caitlin Finley and Chris Stevens, "The Glory Reel": http://thegloryreel.bandcamp.com
Will Woodson

Post by Will Woodson »

The Whitmer chanter associated with this set has been sold; however, the set complete with original chanter (as heard in the video) is still available. I'm now asking $8500 OBO.