FS: Setanta low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

FS: Setanta low D

Post by stiofan »

In excellent condition. see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109578 for more info.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: FS: Setanta low D

Post by pancelticpiper »

I would be very interested to hear your impressions of the Setanta, especially in comparison to some other makes of Low D.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I would be very interested to hear your impressions of the Setanta, especially in comparison to some other makes of Low D.
Okay, here goes. The Setanta is a fine whistle, I'd say on a par with some (but not all) the more popular low Ds on the market. It's got a full, deep tone, and is well-balanced between octaves. This was the key factor for me, since one of the attributes I Iook for in any whistle is an upper register that isn't too harsh or takes a lot of effort to reach and sustain notes at the top of the second octave. It definitely has that going for it. Tone-wise, it's been compared to Cillian O'Briain's low whistles (which are no longer made, I don't think. I had an O'Briain years ago, but I can't honestly recall it that well to say one way or the other). I personally like the tone – it's deep and resonant with some interesting complexity, in a way a bit 'flutey,' and it's got decent volume, especially in the second octave.

There was some talk here on the forum last year about the Setanta being pitched in equal temperament. I can't say I've noticed it all that much, but that it does play in tune, though some notes have to be blown into tune a bit, which I don't consider all that unusual in a whistle myself. One of the things I noticed is that the cross-fingered Cnat is quite reasonably in tune and isn't too muted, which as we all know, a lot of whistles are on that particular note.

As for air requirements, it takes more air than I'd prefer, but perhaps not too much for some players. YMMV. However, I was surprised that it clogged in the lower octave (only) more than I'd expect from a whistle that's got a fairly spacious windway (I haven't measured it, so can't provide an accurate measurement at the moment) and takes more time to warm up than I like, though mild condensation build-up isn't too much of an issue once warmed up.

As for comparisons to other low Ds...I've been playing Goldies (mainly medium-blowers, and a soft-blower briefly this year) for so long now, that's all I really have as a frame of reference. The Setanta is a much different instrument, but perhaps more underrated than it should be and not all that familiar to some players. There are some favorable reviews out there, including a recent one by 'CutiePie' on YouTube.

Overall, for someone looking for a low D with a big open tone, good balance between octaves, and an all-around whistle that plays well, I'd recommend the Setanta. John McSherry is even quoted on the Setanta website: 'They play themselves!'

Let me know if there are other questions.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thank you so much!

A Goldie has been my only Low D for a couple years now, so for me the Goldie is a perfect frame of reference.

One of the things I like about my Goldie is its superb air-efficiency. Perhaps this Setanta is more along the lines of the Lofgren Low D I owned, probably the best-playing Low D I've tried in terms of a powerful low octave and sweet 2nd octave, but a bit too air-hungry for my liking.

Oh and I found the thread about Setantas viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105737&hilit=setanta
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle