Feadog head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hooleh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Feadog head

Post by Hooleh »

Hi all,

I have this basic Feadog high D whistle lying around as a backup whistle (the upper one in the picture).
Recently, I found another Feadog high D at a flea market (the lower one). I decided to buy it as it was only 3€, just to see how it compares to the one I already had.
I noticed that it has a different kind of head/mouthpiece on it, kind of more cubical/angular look to it, and the hole spacing and sizing seems to be slightly different, as well as the stickers/markings on the body.
Moreover, it has a mellower tone to my ear than the one I already had.

As I haven't seen in stores the likes of the one I found on the flea market, I'm guessing that maybe it's an earlier model that isn't manufactured anymore. Kind of like the whole pre-80's Generations/today's Generations -thing.
Can anyone tell me if I'm right at all or not?
What's more, if the thing is as I suspect that it is, is there a general opinion in difference of quality between the whistle with a more angular mouthpiece (older?) and the rounder one (present?).

Just interested if it was a good or rare find or just a basic whistle you can get anywhere. :lol:

To sum up: what's the difference between these two whistles, if there is a difference?

Here's a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohzir56479w8t ... 3.JPG?dl=0
Last edited by Hooleh on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Feadog head

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Your image doesn't work. Dropbox isn't ideal for image hosting. Do search for Feadóg Mk (I,II etc) for discussions ofthe older versions, there are four or five different installments of the head.

This are some of them:

My brain hurts

Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

Thanks for pointing out that the photo didn't work. I replaced it with a link, hopefully the photo can be found behind that.

Did some searching and googling, and much of the info I found would indicate that the whistle I found is a Feadóg Mark I, at least judging by the stickering and whistle head.
Although, it says on the label that "made in Ireland by Feadóg Teo.", whereas someone who had acquired a Mark I said that on his label read "Made in Ireland by McCullough Pigott Mfg.

What's more is that the seller's pile of junk on the flea market looked exactly like it could have a whistle that's been forgotten in a drawer in a warehouse for years.
Starting to think that it was a good deal for 3€. Wish there was a way to know for certain.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Wish there was a way to know for certain.
Yours looks like a MK I. Probably they ran the same design after the whistle making went to Feadóg Teo. The originals were produced by McC P.
My brain hurts

Hooleh

Post by Hooleh »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Wish there was a way to know for certain.
Yours looks like a MK I.
I'll take your word for it. :)

Now after playing and comparing both whistles for some time, it's getting clearer that the 3€ flea market Feadóg is considerably more comfortable to play and has a nicer tone (I'm quite sure that it's not a placebo effect :lol: )
So, be as it may, I believe it was a nice find at the flea market.

Thanks for your input!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here are mine.

The one on the left is my earliest one, which I bought around 1980. It's a fantastic player.

The others were bought later, not sure exactly when.

My centre and right-hand whistles appear to be the same as your two.

IMHO the Mk1 version (the left-hand and centre ones) are much better than the right-hand one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle