Any recomendations for old tune collections?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
chaos97
antispam: No

Any recomendations for old tune collections?

Post by chaos97 »

I was going to purchase Tunes of the Munster Pipers the other day from ITMA, but at checkout the cost of shipping to the states was more than the cost of the books. Do you think these books are worth it? Maybe someone knows another distributor in the states it may be cheaper.

Are there any other collections of 'older' tunes available?
dunnp

Re: Any recomendations for old tune collections?

Post by dunnp »

All the tunes in both volumes are on their digital collection for free.
You could print them all out and have them bound at a copy place.
But it really is nice to see money go to them for the great work they are doing ?
Kuddel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Living near hannover lower saxony germany and try to play pipes selfteached since 1980, now mainly on a flat set by Andreas

Post by Kuddel »

dunnp is right

you can take a pre-look at

https://www.itma.ie/features/notated-collections

before you order the printed version...

kuddel
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

NPU's IMCO is another online option

And while not perhaps the same 'old' sort of tunes as Goodman there's a copy of the first Levey collection on ebay. For a fiver, buy it now price. If you look in it you'll find Ennis (or his dad) got a good few versions from it.
My brain hurts

bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Goodman is a gas. I have 18 tunes and every one a corker. And everyone finds their own stuff: I played a tune for Mick O Brien at the tionol last month, and he had never heard it. That sort of a way.
ITMA does amazing work. Check out the Grier collection online too. Then send them some money.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

chaos97 wrote:I was going to purchase Tunes of the Munster Pipers the other day from ITMA, but at checkout the cost of shipping to the states was more than the cost of the books. Do you think these books are worth it?
Yes, they are absolutely worth it, if you like old tunes and old settings of tunes still played today. My favorite collections by far.
chaos97 wrote:Are there any other collections of 'older' tunes available?
I also really enjoy Hidden Fermanagh: Traditional Music and Song from County Fermanagh, published by the Fermanagh Traditional Music Society in 2003. It contains many tunes from the Gunn Book, another mid-19th-century manuscript collection.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

I'm a big fan of O'Farrell's. Its available at IMSLP.
I've been pounding away at Jackson's Welcome Home, The Maids In The Morning and the Humors of Ballinamult.
Its full of tunes that we don't hear a lot, but should.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

NPU also has the tunes from Geoghegan online if you want to try out some very early (1740s) stuff such as "Can love be countroul'd" (sic), "Gahagan's Frisk" and "With Early Horn" (stop laughing at the back).

I concur with the above that all the Goodman material is well worth the price of admission, many lovely and unfamiliar tunes in there.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

if you want to try out some very early (1740s) stuff
A while ago I picked up a copy of the John & William Neal collection at Ennistymon book fair. That from 1724. Not sure that's the thing to look out for but it was there and it wasn't particularly expensive. I think that's one of the oldest.

There's a good bit available through the internet archive, I have downloaded versions of the Complete Stanford Petrie, Hardebeck, Joyce's Old Irish Folk Music and songs, Petrie's Ancient Irish Music, Poets and Poetry of Munster, Walker's Historical memoirs of the Irish bards and all sorts of other material. It's there, if you're into that sort of thing and if you're not fully into it, it's still interesting to leaf through. Goodman gives more value though, more usable tunes anyway.
My brain hurts

chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Thanks. It seems like the Munster Pipers collection is pretty much what I would have been hoping for. I had known about the ones on NPU but it seemed like there's so many it's a bit overwhelming. Thanks for the additional recommendations.