Whoops

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Whoops

Post by Polara Pat »

Anyone ever have this happen to them? This was my all time favourite whistle, built for me by Jerry Freeman. I played this whistle more than any others and really loved the sound. I was taking it apart for some regular, scheduled cleaning and the mouth piece just sheered clean off. It wasn't really stuck at all. Wondering if there was a flaw in the plastic that gave it a weak point.

ImageIMG_9603 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: Whoops

Post by RoberTunes »

Should be fixable.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

RoberTunes wrote:Should be fixable.
I did a passable repair but don't feel like it should have broken so easily in the first place. Looks like a franken-whistle now. Haha
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Pat, the band on the bottom of the mouthpiece is the culprit: A nice idea in an effort to secure the head but..... well, you see. Basically, without the band, any force you apply to remove the head is distributed far more evenly along the length of that plastic sleeve that covers the tube. The application of the band makes that immediate area tighter and focuses and twisting/pulling forces (looks like you were doing both by the breakaway pattern), to the area just above the band.

Also, maybe “routine maintenance” that requires disassembly isn’t really necessary on cheap whistles? A swab of the bore, and regular rinsing of the windway should suffice.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jerry puts the band on to prevent the cracking on the head along the axis of the tube. So you gain something and lose something. I've used this as a rationale for my sloth in cleaning whistles. Just dip them in gin periodically to kill any germs and enhance the flavor...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Steve Bliven wrote:Just dip them in gin periodically to kill any germs and enhance the flavor...

Best wishes.

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Loren wrote:Pat, the band on the bottom of the mouthpiece is the culprit: A nice idea in an effort to secure the head but..... well, you see. Basically, without the band, any force you apply to remove the head is distributed far more evenly along the length of that plastic sleeve that covers the tube. The application of the band makes that immediate area tighter and focuses and twisting/pulling forces (looks like you were doing both by the breakaway pattern), to the area just above the band.

Also, maybe “routine maintenance” that requires disassembly isn’t really necessary on cheap whistles? A swab of the bore, and regular rinsing of the windway should suffice.
Best advice yet except I'm more of a whiskey man. Haha
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

To strengthen the socket/tenon I wrap heavy carpet thread around it, then soak the thread in super glue.

This creates an extremely strong rock-hard sock that will never split nor shear off like that one did.

Here, on the Bb and C.

The A whistle on the far left has the elegant red thread wrapping that Jerry used to do, before he started doing the brass rings.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
trill

Post by trill »

Polara Pat wrote: . . . .Looks like a franken-whistle now. . .
Any chance for a photo ? :)
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

pancelticpiper wrote:To strengthen the socket/tenon I wrap heavy carpet thread around it, then soak the thread in super glue.

This creates an extremely strong rock-hard sock that will never split nor shear off like that one did.

Here, on the Bb and C.

The A whistle on the far left has the elegant red thread wrapping that Jerry used to do, before he started doing the brass rings.

Interesting technique. Does this mean that this has happened to you before?

I confess that I tried twice to contact Jerry, not to lay blame in any way but rather to let him know that something he made broke and to request another mouth piece or two that I would purchase. Unfortunately he didn't respond.

Photo to follow
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

ImageIMG_9647 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr