viruswarning

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have received several virusses this week from members f this board and the whistle board (tut tut Pat D'Arcy, keep your virus protection updated), once I got the Magister and today twice the W32dl/Bad Trans whatever that is but it came as an attachment named stuff.MP3.pif there was no subject line. Beware.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Peter.
What were the symptoms and what did you do to clean the virus from your computer ?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The virus scan lifted them out and deleted them it was : W32/BadTrans@MM and I have received two more since (one from my insurance broken and this one did have a subjectline a very plausible one too: homeinsurance)
adrianh

Post by adrianh »

Tony,

I got hit twice with the W32.BadTrans virus. The symptoms are as follows :-
It logs keystrokes on your PC
It automatically forwards itself to all unread email in your inbox
It does no actual damage, but is very annoying and a pain to get rid of

http://www.sarc.com has instructions on how to clear it out of your virus checker encounters difficulties.

Good luck and I hope you don't get it.

A
><>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Received the virus a few more times including one from Wally Charm of the Seattle piper's club which followed hot on the heels of a genuine message he had send me, the virus had copied the subject heading of the first message so do be careful, it seems to be getting around and some messages it hides in look deceptively trustworthy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2001-11-29 14:34 ]</font>
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I've had a couple of viruses sent to me in past 24 hrs...one from a Forum member.

Boyd.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Interesting...
I download my e-mail messages then turn off my modem. This stops 'toxic' e-mail messages that have embedded code from calling up additional information found on websites they are linked to. Many of these messages have annoying pop-up windows AND they have the ability to log your e-mail address and IP address. This gives them an 'active' e-mail list to which they can send more SPAM.
----
It used to be easy to avoid viruses that came as attachments, especially when the sender is unknown. Lately many viruses come from friendly sources without the knowledge they are passing such viruses.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

I just got a virus-infected file sent to me in the last 24 hours by a flute maker I recently contacted. Thankfully I didn't download it.
John Allison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Allison »

A couple of days ago I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Win98SE. I've been slowly reinstalling all the necessary programs and throwing out the trash. Unfortunately I had not reinstalled Norton when I got hit this morning. I had downloaded an MP3 file from Classical Archives which didn't play. Thank goodness I had not reinstalled my address book, otherwise thousands of people would have been the recipients of such stupidity.

Of course I was able to close the barn door after the horse got out! Sorry if any of you were the recipients!! (I know Patrick was...)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yep, I received one from you but they all got deleted on arrival, it pays to keep the virusscan updated.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I didn't know I had the virus. In five yeasrs of having a PC at home I've never gotten a virus that wasn't intercepted by Norton. I suppose there's a first time for everything. I keep my anti-virus programme updated on a weekly basis, usually a Saturday morning ritual. Now I'm changing it to every time I turn on the machine.

I did receive a few from you John but the original one got to me from a different source outside of the piping community.... a fiddler! :smile:

Anyway, it's embarassing and sorry for any inconvenience.

Patrick.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Oddly (or luckily) enough McAfee lifted it no problem, JOBM sent me one since so it's still doing the rounds