Which soprano C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Freckle Girl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Which soprano C whistle?

Post by Freckle Girl »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
working with the embrochure (and ornamentation)
I really don't think embouchure is much (or any) significance when playing (high) whistles.
Well, Colin Goldie told me so and I learned it from Grey Larsens book that it matters.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Fair enough, Goldies may be as different story but I don't have yet to find any effect on the type of whistles I play.

I do believe the shape of your mouth may have some effect on tone but in playing your run of the mill high whistle, embouchure is not part of playing technique, it just doesn't come into it.
My brain hurts

Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

After reading your comments thoroughly and listening to some sound examples I placed an order now for a Killarney. Another reason for choosing this one may be that they remind me of John Sindt's, which I always found amazing whistles. Maybe this is idiocy because the fact that they look alike doesn't mean they sound alike. But not all decisions are (or should be) rational.

Thank you for your support :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't know about whistles, but for sure in flute playing

"Tone quality is affected by the position of the tongue...lowering the tongue to the base of the mouth allows freer air vibration, and a slight inflation of the cheeks has been shown to enhance resonance. The action of the jaw, which affects mouth shape and lip position, is also a factor in tone production." Nancy Toff, The Flute Book

Then there's "support" which I feel has an impact on the strength of the lowest notes on Low Whistles.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Trossachs
Tell us something.: Whistle player based in central Scotland. Discovered trad music after moving to a village with a thriving musical life and now immersing myself in it as much as possible.

Post by Trossachs »

Freckle Girl wrote:After reading your comments thoroughly and listening to some sound examples I placed an order now for a Killarney. Another reason for choosing this one may be that they remind me of John Sindt's, which I always found amazing whistles. Maybe this is idiocy because the fact that they look alike doesn't mean they sound alike. But not all decisions are (or should be) rational.

Thank you for your support :thumbsup:
Maybe irrelevant now, but I have a Goldie C and it fits all the criteria you were looking for - mellow sound, not chiffy and the high notes don't blow your head off. Mine is a soft blow and is pretty mellow to play too (unlike by medium blow high D which I love for different reasons). It also has an in tune "Cnat" at OXXOOO. All in all, it's a very lovely instrument made by Colin last year after several long phone conversations. I've no idea where he finds the time to make whistles.

I have also owned a Dixon C (mine was terrible) and a McManus C (beautiful sound and looked gorgeous, but I found I just didn't get on with wooden whistles).

I have Killarney Eb which has a very out of tune "Cnat" with any combination of fingerings. I enjoy playing it, but it's a completely different instrument to the the Goldies.