Gathering the harvest : Seamus' 100th on Lyric FM

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Gathering the harvest : Seamus' 100th on Lyric FM

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Documentary maker JJ O'Shea put together an hour long program on Ennis' collecting work for Lyric FM: Gathering the Harvest on Lyric FM

There's some focus on the work on the Hebrides that is usually merely mentioned with some lovely singing, canntaireachd and examples of Ceol Mór on the big pipes that Ennis recorded there.
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Gathering the harvest : Seamus' 100th on Lyric FM

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you, Mr. Gumby!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Very interesting, thanks Peter. Did you ever talk to Seamus when he came to Miltown in the late 1970's? Was he accessible or reticent? Did he have time for young pipers?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This is as close as I got:

He gave the impression of being accessible enough, to piping questions anyway. In the photo he was demonstrating the piper's C natural after someone asked about it.

Approaching him would not have been my thing, I would have been too much in awe. In 1982 we were hanging out with David Papazian and a man from Toronto, Greg, who had come along with Chris Langan. Greg was staying in Leagard House B&B. When he arrived there on his second day to go to his room and practice his pipes, the landlady told him he would be sharing. He found Ennis sitting on the bed in his room. It scared the life out of him.

I was a colourful dresser at that time, I had the impression Ennis fancied that a bit, or at least was amused by it.
My brain hurts

chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Is there anywhere to hear all the recordings Ennis made during his collecting? I have the Frank Cassidy & Joe Lacky Gallagher cds that feature his recordings & they're great. I'd love to hear other musicians he considered notable enough to record. Perhaps there are other cds like I mentioned that Im unaware of.

Also, how many tracks were ever recorded from Colm O Caoidhean? I've heard a handful or so, but I'm sure there must have been more made considering his relationship with Ennis. I just recently found a track of him singing a song he composed for Ennis that I was unaware of. I'd love to see a release of more of his singing. Is anyone aware of an archive or plans for a future release?

edit: I just found another track of Colm's that's new to me! Seems this cd was released in Sept. Recordings made by Terry Yarnell. Seems like a great collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aly08gO ... dex=5&t=0s
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Terry Yarnell's collection, or a large part of it, is accessible through the British Library site. I have some hours of his tapes on the storage disc but it's one big file, I haven't explored it too closely. But there's a fair bit you can get at online.

Search : British library-sounds or see Terry Yarnell collection.

I also remember, vaguely, a television programme that went out on TG4 dealing with Colm O'C. but don't remember enough to say more than that it was interesting.
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Awesome, your doing holy work :D
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

chaos97 wrote:Is there anywhere to hear all the recordings Ennis made during his collecting?
I just occurred to me, sometimes we overlook the obvious, wood and trees and all that, that in 1951 Ennis took Alan Lomax to many of the people he collected from before. That stuff is available at the Alan Lomax archive, Colm O'C. comes up a few times as Colm Keane see Alan Lomax, Co Galway
My brain hurts

CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

Interesting topic, just happened upon it before a gathering of the Cape Breton Uilleann Pipers Club, of which David Papazian happens to be a member. Dave, or 'Papper' as he is affectionately called, is not an electronically connected individual, and I read the postings, particularly Peter's comments about being at Miltown in 1982. Papper regaled us with Seamus stories all evening in between sets of tunes with a Seamus connection......Return from Fingal, Kitty Lies Over, Wandering Minstrel, The Morning Thrush.... among others. The spirit of Seamus Ennis was active on this side of the pond last evening!

One of our members came all the way from South Africa, where he now lives, actually to perform with his family group The Barra MacNeils. Ryan MacNeil did a solo UP set of the Easter Snow and Colonel Fraser during a show of the Celtic Colours festival here. The Chieftains were here as part of their 'farewell tour', Ryan toured with them for a few years in the 00s, but unfortunately wasn't able to convince Paddy M to hang out with us :-)

Mike