WIDesigner release 2.4.0 now available

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

WIDesigner release 2.4.0 now available

Post by Tunborough »

The latest release of WIDesigner, wind instrument design software, has a number of improvements for modelling whistles and flutes, including:
  • Simplified single-step calibrators that work with either min/max frequencies or measured playing frequencies.
  • More powerful optimizers for the bore profile of whistle heads and whistle bodies.
  • Enhanced tonehole model, with an allowance for the presence of a finger closing the hole.
This new release, available at https://github.com/edwardkort/WWIDesign ... ses/latest, should be installed as a new, full installation. Because of the changes to the tonehole model we recommend you re-calibrate instruments you already have on file.

Some of the changes arose in the course of C&F threads on PVC flute temperament, Fixing octave tuning for a Killarney whistle, and complex bore of R&R flutes. My sincere thanks to Terry, paddler, Geoffrey, Andro, Hans, and the other C&F members who contributed their ideas.
Andro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: WIDesigner release 2.4.0 now available

Post by Andro »

Thank you! I look forward to trying it out (PVC flute design).
Matt NQ
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm new to whistling, been reading the forum for a while, and would like to start getting more involved.

Post by Matt NQ »

That's good news. I really like that the word "simplified" is in the description, if only in one aspect.

WIDesigner looks like a magnificent programme with amazing potential for minimising time spend on making prototypes, but I found it quite bamboozling when I tried to learn it about a year ago. Many unfamiliar terms in each window, with no glossary, and explanations perhaps somewhere in the articles about it, and it was very unclear to me how the different windows communicated with each other.

So for someone who is not a programmer or familiar with a lot of technical acoustic terminology, I found it too steep a mountain to climb in its last incarnation. There are evidently large potential benefits though, so maybe I'll give it another go.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Good point about the glossary. I'll see about setting one up. Let me know if there are particular terms or pages you are having trouble with.

Your comment about windows communicating with each other suggests you may be trying out the tuning wizard to create a tuning file. That may not be the best place to start. Better to start with sample whistle tunings and instruments supplied with the release, and play around with them for a while.
Matt NQ
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm new to whistling, been reading the forum for a while, and would like to start getting more involved.

Post by Matt NQ »

Thanks Tunborough. That's very good to hear re glossary. Been too long since I looked at it to remember which terms were difficult. Sometimes it wasn't the dictionary meaning of the terms, but how they worked in context, such as the requirement to enter a number but I didn't understand what the range of numbers represented, so perhaps a glossary could be organised window by window rather than alphabetically.

I like the advice to start with the sample tunings and instruments. I did indeed try to start from scratch last time. Sometime over the next week I should have time to have another look at it, and I'll let you know how I go.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Here we go, a Glossary. For now, it covers mostly the names we use for instrument dimensions. Let me know if there are any other terms you are struggling with.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'd love to use this but as it turns out, I am too stupid to run a java app. Every time I click the jar file, nothing happens, except for a split second a window opens, then closes again. I set path variables but I am not sure, I have done this correctly. I installed java in the standard installation path. Do I have to move the WIDedigner to a particular folder? Can I use "Power shell" to open it? I already spent about 2 hrs trying to figure this out. In the video tutorial it all seems pretty straightforward. But the app just never opens.

update:
I got it to run with this command line:
java -jar "C:\Users\Philipp\Desktop\WIDesigner-2.4\WIDesigner-2.4.0.jar"
Would be nice however, if I get it to work directly from the jar file. Or how can I use the above command line as a permanent solution without having to type it every time?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Put the command into a batch file (.bat), name it something simple, & run it(?).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Sedi wrote:I'd love to use this but as it turns out, I am too stupid to run a java app. Every time I click the jar file, nothing happens, except for a split second a window opens, then closes again. I set path variables but I am not sure, I have done this correctly. I installed java in the standard installation path. Do I have to move the WIDedigner to a particular folder? Can I use "Power shell" to open it? I already spent about 2 hrs trying to figure this out. In the video tutorial it all seems pretty straightforward. But the app just never opens.

update:
I got it to run with this command line:
java -jar "C:\Users\Philipp\Desktop\WIDesigner-2.4\WIDesigner-2.4.0.jar"
Would be nice however, if I get it to work directly from the jar file. Or how can I use the above command line as a permanent solution without having to type it every time?
Tunborough could produce the jar file as an executable jar. Then it would execute with double click....
@Tunborough: pm me if you need details of how to do this. It will depend upon your build setup but should be easy.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I am thinking I rather did something wrong with the java installation. The jar file should be executable with double click but it seems no to be on my installation. I guess it is a user error. :D
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

fatmac wrote:Put the command into a batch file (.bat), name it something simple, & run it(?).
Probably. I should google how that's done:D . I don't know much about that stuff. Rather frustrating at times when the machine once again beat me into sumbission. :boggle:
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

DrPhill, thanks for the offer, but WIDesigner is already delivered as a .jar file. For some reason, Sedi, when you installed Java, the operating system didn't make the association between the .jar suffix and the Java run-time program. To make that association, you could try right-clicking on the WIDesigner-2.4.0.jar file and selecting Open With.... If you're running Windows, it may offer to open it with the Java program, perhaps calling it "Java (TM) Platform SE Binary", or something like that. (If Windows doesn't find Java on its own, you'll have to browse your Program Files folders to find java.exe.) There should be a checkbox that says "Always open .jar files with this program". Once that association is made, a double-click on the .jar file should be sufficient.

Let me know how it goes.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

That is exactly what I did. Still doesn't work though. I think I messed up the java installation or the path. But strange that it works with the CMD but not by clicking or "open with".
cng1
Tell us something.: I'm a new but avid tin whistler and would like to discuss whistle physics and construction on the forum. I'd also like to be able to respond to the for sale posts. I tried to make accounts earlier but had some issues with the system.

Post by cng1 »

This program seems to be quite amazing. Is it based on the PhD thesis of Paul Dickens? I recently started looking into fiddling with designing my own whistles, then started looking into flute/whistle acoustics and thinking about how to simulate it, then found his thesis, then found WIDesigner.

I was able to run it under Linux but it won't run on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6). Any suggestions? I installed the latest version of Java from Oracle. When I try to run WIDesigner, I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

$ java --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-exports java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED --add-exports java.desktop/sun.awt.shell=ALL-UNNAMED -jar WIDesigner-2.4.0.jar
WARNING: package com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows not in java.desktop
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.jidesoft.app.framework.JDAFUtils (file:/Users/gilbreth/Downloads/WIDesigner-2.4/lib-2.4/jide-jdaf.jar) to method com.apple.eawt.Application.getApplication()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.jidesoft.app.framework.JDAFUtils
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: UI Failed to start.
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.ApplicationUIManager.startup(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.plaf.macosx.MacOSXApplicationUIManager.startup(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.GUIApplication.initRun(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.DesktopApplication.run(Unknown Source)
	at com.wwidesigner.gui.WIDesigner.main(WIDesigner.java:144)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/eawt/ApplicationListener
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:332)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.plaf.macosx.MacOSXApplicationMenuBarsUI.installOSXMenuBarSupport(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.plaf.macosx.MacOSXApplicationMenuBarsUI.createMenubar(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.ApplicationWindowsUI.installMenubar(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.ApplicationUIManager.startUI(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.app.framework.gui.ApplicationUIManager$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:303)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:389)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.apple.eawt.ApplicationListener
	at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:583)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
	... 20 more
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

cng1 wrote:This program seems to be quite amazing. Is it based on the PhD thesis of Paul Dickens? I recently started looking into fiddling with designing my own whistles, then started looking into flute/whistle acoustics and thinking about how to simulate it, then found his thesis, then found WIDesigner.
Sorry, I missed this when you first posted it. WIDesigner has similarities to the model Paul Dickens built. The WIDesigner tonehole model comes from the work of Antoine Lefebvre, and WIDesigner uses a more explicit model for the headjoint and excitation mechanism.
cng1 wrote:I was able to run it under Linux but it won't run on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6). Any suggestions? I installed the latest version of Java from Oracle. When I try to run WIDesigner, I get the following error message:...
I don't have access to a Mac, so I can't offer much help. WIDesigner 2.5.0 comes with a new release of the JDAF user interface classes; it's worth checking whether you still have a problem with 2.5.0. There's also this issue reported, https://github.com/edwardkort/WWIDesigner/issues/89. If you're still having a problem, please open an issue on GitHub, and maybe Edward will have some ideas.