McCallum getting into uilleann making

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: McCallum getting into uilleann making

Post by maki »

"Zarb" from the Bob Dunshire Pipe Forum posted this vid. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch it here.
http://youtu.be/nyzaZ2R90C8
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

Found this video of the reed maker McCallum is using for the pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5JjozyyFw

Apparently, Fred will do the finel tuning for the reeds as stated in the comment for the video on youtube.
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

maki wrote:"Zarb" from the Bob Dunshire Pipe Forum posted this vid. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch it here.
Don't even bother. Watching this video/review is like watching Stevie Wonder giving a review for the new Chevy Corvette. Just being honest.. :thumbsup:
Last edited by irishpiper on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maki

Post by maki »

irishpiper wrote:
maki wrote:"Zarb" from the Bob Dunshire Pipe Forum posted this vid. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch it here.
Don't even bother. Watching this video/review is like watching Stevie Wonder give a review for the new Chevy Corvette. Just being honest.. :thumbsup:

Well you know what they say in LA...............'Piping ain't easy.'
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

irishpiper wrote:
Don't even bother. Watching this video/review is like watching Stevie Wonder give a review for the new Chevy Corvette. Just being honest.. :thumbsup:
Good analogy :thumbsup: :D When I posted the link I think I said the same but with more subtlety. :D As I mentioned, I do have a sound file but I don't know how to go about posting it. I'll be seeing Fred in a few weeks at the Celtic Arts Foundation winter school in Seabeck, Washington. I'll video Fred playing mine.

Frank
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

maki wrote: I'll be seeing Fred in a few weeks at the Celtic Arts Foundation winter school in Seabeck, Washington. I'll video Fred playing mine.

Frank
That would be great!! I can't wait to hear how the chanter sounds with a good reed in it and Fred at the Helm. Good stuff!! :thumbsup:
Reedmaker
Tell us something.: I am uilleann pipes reed maker and make them for a few semi pro Pipers! The reeds I make are of very good quality after I have done the final voicing of the reeds, I am also friends with a top quality bellows maker.

Post by Reedmaker »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
BzzzzT wrote:Found this video of the reed maker McCallum is using for the pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5JjozyyFw

Apparently, Fred will do the finel tuning for the reeds as stated in the comment for the video on youtube.
I made the reeds for Fred at the very start but soon ended as he found a cheaper version?
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Surely some sort of automated mass producing of synthetic reeds will also be necessary to enable the business model? If this is successful one massive benefit is the customers will hopefully have access to a robust and long lasting warranty and repair system. At the moment if ‘your’ pipemaker retires you have no-one available with 1st hand knowledge to reed or maintain your set for example.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Did this ever actually get off the ground?
The McCallum Bagpipes website has a section on the Fred Morrison Scottish smallpipes as well as reelpipes, but absolutely nothing about UP. Their Facebook doesn't have any news about this, either.
And Fred Morrison's own site has nothing about the UP.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes I wonder why McCallum put the uilleann project on the back burner.

I know a more recent project, coming out with a reproduction of Stuart Liddell's Duncan MacRae Highland pipes, appears to have been very successful. I talked to one retailer a while back who told me "the MacRae pipes are all we've been selling, we can't keep them in stock".

McCallum did a good job getting the look and sound of a vintage pipe. The two tenor drones have different bore specs, which was common in the old days. A guy in my band plays a set and it's a handsome and great-sounding pipe.

https://www.macraebagpipes.com/
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Bassdrone
Tell us something.: Piper from Dublin, Ireland. GHB/SSP and UP. Member of NPU. Would like to join forum to stay in touch with the UP community in general. Also looking for ideas for studio setup/recording and sessions/tionols. Cheers. T

Post by Bassdrone »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Did this ever actually get off the ground?
The McCallum Bagpipes website has a section on the Fred Morrison Scottish smallpipes as well as reelpipes, but absolutely nothing about UP. Their Facebook doesn't have any news about this, either.
Chatting to Fred on his recent trip to Dublin and the subject came up. He is still selling Uilleann Pipes made by McCallum and he is very much involved. They were originally selling a 1/2 Set but they have now started producing full sets. People are buying them too. I don't think this will be a core product for McCallum. Its more of a word of mouth thing it seems.
thePhotopiper
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Post by thePhotopiper »

Bassdrone wrote: Chatting to Fred on his recent trip to Dublin and the subject came up. He is still selling Uilleann Pipes made by McCallum and he is very much involved. They were originally selling a 1/2 Set but they have now started producing full sets. People are buying them too. I don't think this will be a core product for McCallum. Its more of a word of mouth thing it seems.
I spoke with Fred a couple of weekends ago at his workshop in Mt. Vernon, WA. He said they will be available on his new website, but couldn't say when the new website would be up and running. He had a few sets with him and sold a couple to the students. They looked and sounded pretty great.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Just spoke with a local woman last night who picked up a recently-made McCallum practice set that he had with him at his annual smallpipes workshop in Mt. Vernon.

So yes, he and McCallum are still at it though at this point it appears it is still one of Fred & McCallum's side-hustles, so to speak.

The one McCallum half set I've heard sounded very good indeed.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

The thing about MacCallum is that although they are a volume manufacturer, their setup is such that it is very easy for them to do small runs. You load twenty bits of wood into the feed, and tell it to run 19 off GHB chanters and 1 off Morrison Uilleann chanter, and so on. So there's no commercial urgency to scale into a massive operation.

The other thing, of course, is I think they are well aware that if they were to go out all guns blazing with a massive publicity campaign and all the rest of it, it probably wouldn't be seen that kindly in the sitting-down-piping world.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Bassdrone wrote:
RenaissanceGuy wrote:Did this ever actually get off the ground?
Chatting to Fred on his recent trip to Dublin and the subject came up. He is still selling Uilleann Pipes made by McCallum and he is very much involved. They were originally selling a 1/2 Set but they have now started producing full sets. People are buying them too. I don't think this will be a core product for McCallum. Its more of a word of mouth thing it seems.

I figured that is what would happen, they'd keep this in the background and eventually come out with the full set, once everything is developed.

If this does go through, it'd be nice if flat sets were an option, but I guess we shall have to see, we shan't speak too soon in regards to a solid no or yes.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.