Morvan or Lesouef flutes - your experience?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Morvan or Lesouef flutes - your experience?

Post by pixyy »

Hello good folks,
lovely to be back :)

I was wondering if any of you have played flutes by Stéphane Morvan and/or Solen Lesouef?
I'd be especially interested to know if you can compare them with your experience with flutes from other reputable makers.

I know JMV plays Morvan flutes, which is quite the endorsement.

After having played a delrin flute by Francois Baubet exclusively the last many years I am on the lookout for a wooden flute again (keyless initially, perhaps keyed). I considered getting on Patrick Olwell's waiting list, but beween the wait for a keyless and the import tax/VAT I'll end up paying on it, I am seriously considering a european maker. Hence my question :)

Cheers
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: Morvan or Lesouef flutes - your experience?

Post by flutefry »

I play a Morvan 8 key flute in cocus, but I haven't played a Lesouf. Physically, the Morvan is heavier and has a larger circumference than most flutes I have owned, which matters only if you have joint problems. The tuning is excellent. I always liked its sound which on my lips is "fat" (lots of centre) as opposed to "thin" (edge but no body). If I manage a focused airstream while blowing down, it produces lots of overtones (reedy), but it doesn't lose its "solid" quality. I find that its tone is more complex than my Hudson Siccama that has a very similar bore to a Pratten (Hudson went on to make the Pratten's Perfected). The keys work well, but I have short fourth fingers so I find the G# touch a little far away, and I can't easily play all the keys on the foot joint, so I roll it depending on the need for C/C# vs Eb.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I have loved every Lesouef flute that I've played. I would recommend her flutes without hesitation.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I have no experience with a Morvan, however I play both a Baubet delrin and a Lesouef mopane 6-key. The Lesouef is thinner and, even with the keys, seems lighter to hold than the delrin Baubet. The Lesouef is very nicely made, both structurally and aesthetically. Lovely tone once I adjusted a bit to the embouchure cut. A very nice flute and highly recommended.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Thank you for the valuable and specific input so far.
I also found sound samples on Blayne Chastain’s SoundCloud that he made for the Irish flute store
Where he plays flutes by both makers.
My sense is that the Lesouef flute is more refined in tone and in playing characteristic than the Morvan which is more open.
https://soundcloud.com/blaynechastain/s ... e-key-of-d
https://soundcloud.com/blaynechastain/s ... key-rudall
Again the samples are not recorded at the same time and are in case of the Morgan flute not of the design he is selling now.

More input is welcome.
I’d love to be able to play them side by side myself but the next best thing is probably ordering one.

The price is also a factor. A keyless Morvan is twice the price of a Lesouef.

Ah to feel the buzz and excitement of looking at new flutes again :-)
Nicolas86

Post by Nicolas86 »

I have played several of both makers 's flutes and I have liked all of Lesouef's flutes, definitely not the case for Morvan's flutes. Lesouef is definitely on the up side and I believe her flutes will become more valuable as time goes by. In other word grab them when the wait is not too long....
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

You can't go wrong with any of these flutes.
Morvan's new design is very different now and not as larger as described here before. And it's shorter too. Blowing is even easier as you need really less air to play it. Tone is rich in all octaves, there's no weakness.
Lesouef flutes are also easy to play and tone is great too. Maybe I would prefer Morvan's keywork...
Feeling and choice are so personal... :wink:
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

Well, I've been in correspondance with Solen and put myself on the list for a keyless as well as a keyed flute.
7 months wait for a keyless. I can do this. I think.
cheers
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

pixyy wrote:Hello good folks,
lovely to be back :)

I was wondering if any of you have played flutes by Stéphane Morvan and/or Solen Lesouef?
I'd be especially interested to know if you can compare them with your experience with flutes from other reputable makers.

Not played the Morvan flutes - he's too far south of France to travel to try for me.

I love my Solen Lesouef keyed flutes and the really funky keywork. Her embouchure plates are super and warm up really fast too. I used to have a few Rudall & Rose conical flutes - sold these due to the fussiness and terror of a future potential crack in such an aged instrument. Very different tonal quality - the Lesouef is designed on the Rudall Rose and sounds just as sweet and sultry, but not as creamy as the original Rudall Rose. It sounds more powerful (the large hole version) and it looks utterly amazing.

Hope you love yours. Btw - you can trade in the keyless for a keyed version later too. She's such a wonderful luthier and the intonation of her flute are impeccable.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Tonehole wrote:Not played the Morvan flutes - he's too far south of France to travel to try for me.

Um, Stéphane Morvan is in Britanny, just like Solen Lesouef.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

jemtheflute wrote:
Tonehole wrote:Not played the Morvan flutes - he's too far south of France to travel to try for me.

I think he moved to the Alps.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

csoroz wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:

I think he moved to the Alps.
His website currently says he's in Finistère. I'm pretty sure I've had recent contact with Breton connections who've said they live near him. Certainly no-one has mentioned him moving away. Why not ask him?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

Stephane moved and is living now in the Alps. :wink:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bran Ruz wrote:Stephane moved and is living now in the Alps. :wink:
Who wouldn’t want to live in the Alps, really. :thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Bran Ruz wrote:Stephane moved and is living now in the Alps. :wink:
:boggle: Ok! Needs to update his website, then.

But who'd leave Britanny???

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums