Whistle or flute case

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Whistle or flute case

Post by kkrell »

I just picked up a few of these ArtBin Pencil Cases (available at Michaels.com & Joann.com and their craft stores).

Each can fit 3 high D whistles (3 compartments) easily, or up to 10 (stacked) if you don't mind contact by placing 2-4 in each section. Too short for a C, unless you have a separate body.

I even fit a Copley Delrin flute in one. I tried a Casey Burns Folk Flute, but while it latches securely, the flare on his headjoint holds the case top up a bit, so would probably not keep humidity.

$10.50 each at Michaels, $9.99 at Joann's. Joann's has an online sale right now at 30% off, which Michael's was willing to match (I picked them up at the store).

Clear box.
https://www.michaels.com/artbin-pencil- ... 34500.html
Michael's has a sale today (Oct. 10, 2019) at 20% off purchase.

Tinted box.
https://www.joann.com/artbin-pencil-uti ... 84895.html
30% off this item ($6.99). There's also a 20% off entire purchase sale on right now, but I don't know if you can stack the 2 deals.

Anyway, I just need these to organize things at home. You might not want to use them for travel to sessions (no real handle, just an end tab, store hanger) without adding a foam liner and/or placing into an outer carrying case.

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Whistle or flute case

Post by PB+J »

Nice idea! Thank you

I bought one of the cases McNeela sells directly from Ali Express. It comes with the "pick and pluck" foam. I party lined it with crushed velvet, to up the pretentiousness level. Very fancy, but overkill. Do you think those would work with a keyed flute?

BTW these are 38.80 with free shipping to the US
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

PB+J wrote:Nice idea! Thank you

I bought one of the cases McNeela sells directly from Ali Express. It comes with the "pick and pluck" foam. I party lined it with crushed velvet, to up the pretentiousness level. Very fancy, but overkill. Do you think those would work with a keyed flute?

BTW these are 38.80 with free shipping to the US
Should be fine for a keyed flute unless there is not enough depth in the case. Width should accommodate keys. You don't want excessive pressure on the key touches. As long as some foam thickness remains to cushion the flute.

Do you have a direct link to the vendor for the Ali Express case? McNeela claims to manufacture theirs ($58+shipping) - probably just fit cut-out foam to empty cases.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

kkrell wrote: Do you have a direct link to the vendor for the Ali Express case? McNeela claims to manufacture theirs ($58+shipping) - probably just fit cut-out foam to empty cases.

Yes sorry I should have posted that

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290282 ... 4c4dL3FWNx

I've been very happy with it--very sturdy and fits together really well. I think it's watertight or close to it, though I haven't tested it . It sure looks to be exactly the same as the McNeela case

38 bucks and free shipping is hard to beat--the McNeela case is more and shipping to the US is a lot more
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Hi @PB+J,

I have two of these cases from McNeela that came with my flutes, one the six key Delrin flute, and that fits fine. But I also located the identical case on Aliexpress for half the price. McNeela has cut foam and his nameplate, the Aliexpress ones have pluck foam and a spot for the name plate of your own engraving. They are identical. [Clearly the McNeela are source from China.] They hold flutes nicely and securely. In my opinion although these may look like Pelican camera cases I am pretty sure they are NOT waterproof and I would not be game to try that out. If you are lucky, you can sometimes find them in orange, as well as black. Highly recommended. Really strong with great clasps. They offer great physical protection. They are not gun cases, they are proper instrument/tool cases.

The Aliexpress site you found @PB+J is even cheaper than the one I use (and they are all sourced through Alibaba anyway).