Inhaler Whistle or Flue Pipe?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CageyB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested more in how whistles work than in whistling while I work - humming seems to come more naturally. The happy hum happens especially when I appear to be making progress in understanding the workings of whistles. In the interests of full disclosure, I must confess I'm especially fascinated by fipples.

Inhaler Whistle or Flue Pipe?

Post by CageyB »

Do any of you know of a type of resonant pipe or whistle that can be sounded on the draw breath (ie. whilst inhaling)? It could be a simple flue pipe with a fipple, which only sounds a single tone.

If you think this sounds ridiculous, check out this ingenious example of an instrument with blow and draw fippled pipes:

https://youtu.be/jEXi8pqlZKY

I'm interested to know if there are any other examples of inhaler pipes/whistles. In particular I want to understand where the fipple is placed and how it works to make the draw pipe speak.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Re: Inhaler Whistle or Flue Pipe?

Post by Michael w6 »

That was quite interesting!
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Interesting set of pipes - he's using the same principle as a harmonica, he's using two pipe/pairs, blow/draw, so the fipple would need to be reversed for half of them, presumably, somehow.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Not exactly the same blow~draw principle as the harmonica. No air is being drawn through the pipes.

If you look at the patent drawings, air really only goes in one direction: across the fipple!

It's a terribly clever design, though: you push air across one set of fipples and draw air across another set!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I didn't see the two rows of holes in the video, but it is still a clever design, I wonder why it never caught on(?).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Very clever. Remarkable what you can do with it.