Title

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Title

Post by Michael w6 »

Any member know the origin of the curiously titled, "Pigtown Fling"?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Title

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Tunearchive :

PIGTOWN FLING. AKA and see see “Buffalo Breakdown,” "Hop Along, Sally,” "Kelton’s Reel," “Off with Your Jacket,” "Old Dad," "Old Mother Goodwin" (Pa.), "Ston(e)y Point [1]," "Stony Point Reel" (Pa. title, 1866), “Warm Stuff,” "Wild Horse," "Wild Horses at Stony Point." American, Scottish, Irish; Reel. USA, widely known under a variety of titles. G Major ('A' part) & E Minor ('B' part). Standard tuning. AA'B (Kerr): AABB (most versions): AABB’ (Skinner): AA’BB’ (Kennedy). Pigtown Fling is the common New England title for this widely known tune, although it was collected by Shaw in Colorado as “Pigtown Hoe Down.” It is called “Pigtown” in County Donegal, Ireland, where it is played as a highland, although Perlman (1979) says it was originally a Co. Kerry polka, also called "Pigtown." Linscott (1939) identifies this tune as "an Irish reel sometimes known as 'Keltons.'" Chet Parker, a hammered dulcimer player from western New York, called it “Buffalo Breakdown.” See also “Woodpile,” “N....r in the Woodpile” and “Cotton Patch.” Sources for notated versions: Edson Cole (Freedom, N.H.) [Linscott], seven southwestern Pa. fiddlers [Bayard]. Adam, 1928; No. 27. American Veteran Fifer, 1927; No. 19. Bayard (Dance to the Fiddle), 1981; No. 166A‑G, pgs. 111‑113. Bulmer & Sharpley (Music from Ireland), 1974, Vol. 2, No. 7. Cazden, 1955; pg. 28. Christeson (Old Time Fiddlers Repertory, Vol. 1), 1973; No. 139 (four parts). DeVille, 1905; No. 65. Ford (Traditional Music in America), 1940; pgs. 35 and 64. Harding's Original Collection, 1928; No. 121. Kennedy (Traditional Dance Music of Britain and Ireland: Reels and Rants), 1997; No. 158, pg. 37. Kerr (Merry Melodies), Vol. 2; No. 269, pg. 29. Krassen (Appalachian Fiddle), 1973; pg. 61 (three parts). Linscott (Folk Songs of Old New England), 1939; pg. 71. Miller & Perron (New England Fiddlers Repertoire), 1983; No. 126. Ruth (Pioneer Western Folk Tunes), 1948; No. 2, pg. 3. Shaw (Cowboy Dances), 1943; pg. 388 (appears as “Pigtown Hoe Down”). Skinner (Harp and Claymore), 1904; pg. 143 (appears as “The Pig Town”). Sweet (Fifer’s Delight), 1965/1981; pg. 47. Tolman (Nelson Music Collection), 1969; pg. 11. Welling (Welling’s Hartford Tunebook), 1976; pg. 3. White's Excelsior Collection, pg. 23. White's Unique Collection, No. 70. Gennett 6088 (78 RPM), Uncle Steve Hubbard and His Boys, c. 1928 (recorded under the title "Big‑Town Fling"). John Edwards Memorial Foundation JEMF‑105, Uncle Joe Shippee ‑ "New England Traditional Fiddling" (1978). Shanachie 79022, “The Chieftains #2.” “Music at Matt Molloy’s.” Smithsonian Folkways SFW CD 40126, Bob McQuillen & Old New England – “Choose Your Partners!: Contra Dance & Square Dance Music of New Hampshire” (1999).

See also listings at:

Jane Keefer’s Folk Music Index: An Index to Recorded Sources

Alan Ng’s Irishtune.info

X:1

T:Pigtown Fling

M:2/4

L:1/8

S:Shaw – Cowboy Dances (1948)

Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion

K:G

Gg/e/ de/d/|Bg/e/ d/B/A/B/|Gg/e/ de/d/|BG/B/ A/F/E/D/|

Gg/e/ de/d/|Bg/e/ d/B/A/B/|Gg/e/ dB/d/|c/B/A/B/ Gz:|

eB e>f|g/f/e/f/ e/d/B/A/|Be e>d|e/f/g/f/ ge/d/|eB e>f|

g/f/e/f/ e/d/B/A/|Be e>d|e/f/g/a/ g2||
My brain hurts

Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

Thanks. I'll keep "Pigtown" because it is a cool title. The Session list several of the other titles you mention as alternate titles. It always has surprised me to see a tune with several titles, sometimes more than a dozen! Some of the titles you list are not given on The Session. Such as "N In The Woodpile" This tune I know as "Devil In The Woodpile." A more respectable title.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Wow thanks Mr Gumby, that appears to be one of those very old tunes that made it across with the early colonists.

Pig Town: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigtown,_Baltimore

Stony Point https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Point,_New_York

I'm guessing it was called neither Pig Town nor Stony Point on the other side of the Atlantic.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Several places lay claim to the name Pigtown. Google gives us a neighborhood in Baltimore. A bit USA-centric. Pigtown, Ireland, gives us Limerick, with its Pigtown Culture & Food Series, http://pigtown.ie/1136-2/ . An interesting read here: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the- ... f-the-hams

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi